Webber is one of the two playable Characters exclusive to the Reign of Giants DLC. He's the only one of the two that is not unlocked via Experience. He's also one of the playable Characters in Don't Starve Together. Webber looks like a humanoid spider, though he's actually a child that lives inside the spider that tried to eat him long ago. He received a character refresh exclusive to DST in June 2021.
- 1 Origin
- 2 Unlocking
- 3 Special Power (Reign of Giants)
- 4 Downloadable Content
- 5 Special Power (Don't Starve Together)
- 6 Tips
- 7 Bugs
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Skin Sets
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Sounds
- 13 References
–Official description of the Along Came A Spider animated short
Once upon a time, there was a young boy who lived with his family on a small farmstead. Though they lived humbly, the boy's home was filled with love, and he grew up happy and kind. The boy might have lived contentedly for the rest of his days if not for the sudden arrival of an old aquaintance[sic], who came to the house beseeching the boy's father for his expertise on a strange and secretive project...
Main article: Webber's Skull
To unlock Webber one must be playing in a Reign of Giants save game. The player has to find Webber's Skull as a drop from Spiders, then bury the skull inside a dug up Grave mound. After that, Lightning will immediately strike the grave. Webber will rise from the mound and become unlocked. Following this, numerous Spiders will proceed to spawn from the grave, but killing them is not required to unlock Webber.
Webber can safely eat Monster Foods without any adverse health effects, he grows a silky smooth beard, and he can befriend Spiders. He starts the game with 2 Monster Meat and Spider Eggs, which can be used to plant a Spider Den.
Webber grows a beard made of Silk much like Wilson grows one made of hair. It takes 3 days per stage of beard growth, a total of 9 days for full length (compared to 16 days for Wilson). When he shaves with a Razor, he gains 10 and Silk drops to the ground. Webber's silky beard provides 3/4 as much insulation from freezing as Wilson's beard would, and it also increases his rate of Overheating.
Below is the days it takes Webber to grow his beard to the next stage, along with the number of Silk gained and insulation provided with each stage.
|Days until growth||Length||Silk yield||Insulation|
|3 days||Short beard||11.25|
|6 days||Long beard||×3||33.75|
|9 days||Silky Smooth beard||×6||67.5|
Shaving every 3 days is half as efficient as waiting for the full beard to grow out (0.33 Silk/day vs. 0.67 Silk/day).
Spiders (including Spider Queens and all forms of Cave spiders) are neutral towards Webber, regarding him as one of their own. Webber does not lose Sanity from being close to spiders. Webber doesn't alarm Spiders when he walks on the sticky webbing around a Spider Den, and his walking speed is not slowed down by it either.
Webber can befriend Spiders by giving them Meats. A Spider fed this way and up to 4 additional Spiders within 15 units (3.75 Pitchfork tiles) follows Webber and protects him for up to 2.5 Days (20 minutes). Spiders will follow for 19.2 seconds per Calorie in the Meat (4 minutes or half a day for a Morsel).
The downside to Webber's spidery traits is that "good" mobs that are hostile to Spiders will also be hostile to Webber. This means that Pigs, Bunnymen and Catcoons will attack Webber on sight and cannot be befriended.
Webber has a lower Sanity maximum, so he must take precautions.
In the Shipwrecked DLC, Bottlenose Ballphins and Wildbores will also attack Webber on sight. While Webber can befriend the new venomous version of the Spider Warrior, they're only helpful on their island as they can't swim.
In the Hamlet DLC, Webber starts with an exclusive item called the Shamlet Mask. All Royal Guards and Pogs will attack him on sight unless he is wearing the Shamlet Mask. Spider Monkeys cannot be befriended by Webber.
In DST, Webber has an exclusive crafting tab called Spider Care. He also carries his old Don't Starve perks.
The Spider Care Tab items are:
- Spider Eggs - This item was moved from the Structures Tab, and some crafting costs were lowered.
- Den Decorating Set - Allows Webber to decorate up to five regular spider dens. Decorated dens have a much smaller webbing size, stop growing and pacify all the spiders residing inside. Attacking a spider from a decorated den will destroy the decorations and revert it back to a regular one.
- Webby Whistle - Can be blown into to call out spiders from nearby dens, wake up sleeping spiders and order the befriended spiders into a pacified state where they will deaggro from their targets and won't eat the meats on the ground. Has 50 uses.
- Shoo Box - Deaggroes all spiders in the area and dismisses all befriended spiders. Has 10 uses.
- Healing Glop - Applies an area of effect heal for all spider around including Webber himself.
- Warrior Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Spider Warrior and befriend them.
- Dangler Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Dangling Depth Dweller and befriend them.
- Cave Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Cave Spider and befriend them.
- Spitter Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Spitter and befriend them.
- Shatter Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Shattered Spider and befriend them.
- Nurse Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Nurse Spider and befriend them.
- Strider Switcherdoodle - Can be fed to any spider to transform them into a Sea Strider and befriend them.
In addition, Webber has the ability to shave any Spider Den using the razor to downgrade them by 1 level. Shaving a Spider Den will give one Silk for each stage. Shaving a den also destroys decorations on the den and can destroy a den if it is level 1.
Webber can also sleep inside Level 3 dens to gain HP and Sanity in exchange for Hunger. The Hunger drain is slightly higher while the HP and Sanity gains are slightly lower inside a Tier 3 den. Sleeping inside a den will stop it from growing for some time even after waking up and preventing Webber from getting hit by darkness while inside. Spider Queen doesn't spawn when Webber is sleeping in a den for some time.
Webber's ability to befriend spiders was also given a buff and made indefinite. Follower spiders do not have a loyalty timer unlike other follower mobs will only stop following due to death, the Webber player's death, disconnections, travel between the caves and surface, or the Shoo Box.
Webber can also put sleeping and trapped spiders in his inventory. Spiders in his inventory can be fed with meat to lengthen it's life. It can also be fed with switherdoodles causing it to transform.
Webber also gains a slight movement speed boost when walking in silk. Hats can be equipped by spiders which means they also take the hat's effects.
Webber and Wilson have unique alternative skins for their Beards in DST, corresponding to each of their skin collections. If a player owns a beard skin, it will automatically grow over their regular beard when the player is using the matching head skin. Beards can be changed with the use of a Clean Sweeper by the player on themselves.
- Webber's low sanity can easily be managed by crafting a Top Hat out of the Silk he collects from farming Spiders or shaving his Beard.
- As the beard doesn't grow longer after 9 days and the player loses it on resurrection or by changing characters, it is most efficient to shave after every 9th night.
- The beard will take exactly 9 days to grow to its full length (full length at the beginning of day 10), and since Winter starts on day 21 on default settings, the player can shave once to get the Silk and still be able to get a full beard for Winter. The player can easily survive Winter with just a full beard and a Thermal Stone.
- It is advised to shave at the beginning of Summer due to the beard accelerating the rate at which Webber overheats and providing no benefits when fully grown.
- Webber keeps his beard when he uses a Wooden Thing to move to a new world. This proves useful in Adventure Mode when "The King of Winter" or "The Game is Afoot" are still to be encountered.
- Due to his perks, Webber makes an excellent character for Caves and Ruins exploration as there are far more Spiders underground than there are Bunnymen.
- Befriended Spiders will eat any Meat, Pig Skins and Bunny Puffs dropped from their kill after a short time, so the player needs to act quickly if they want to collect these drops.
- Spiders will occasionally attack Walls, so it is recommended to place any Walls away from the Spider Dens.
- Spiders will attack Chester on sight. This can be used to player's advantage with smaller dens, using him as bait. However, with larger dens, it is recommended to either leave Chester away from the base or place Spider Dens away from the base.
- Since Webber does not trigger the spawning of Spiders when he walks on webbing, it is advised to use Glommer to make the Spiders come out whenever they are needed. It can trigger the webbing even when in flight and Spiders are not hostile to Glommer so there's no risk to it.
- Feeding Meat or Pig Skin to a Spider will cause multiple spiders to follow Webber within a small radius. With only a few pieces of easily acquired meat (i.e. Frog Legs, Morsels), Webber can amass a very large following by only feeding a few spiders.
- Since Webber can use Meat to recruit new Spiders under his control, one can have the Spiders attack any creatures that drop Meat upon death, and in addition to the fresh Meat to potentially be used to recruit even more Spiders, any Spiders that should fall in battle could leave behind Monster Meat, also usable to recruit.
- It is advised to befriend Cave Spiders and Spitters for one's personal army. While Cave Spiders and Webber can tank the enemy, Spitters can decimate them from afar, away from danger.
- Webber is able to eat Monster Meat raw without any ill effects, and cooking Monster Meat does not increase its hunger value. However, it is still advisable to cook any meat the player won't be eating immediately because of the cooked meat's 15 day spoil time, more than twice as long as its uncooked form takes to turn into Rot.
- Befriended Spider Warriors can be used to easily hunt small animals (Butterflies, Rabbits, etc.) as their jump attack has enough range to kill small prey before they can run.
- In the Shipwrecked DLC, Fire Packim Baggims will attack Webber and Spiders.
- To safely and easily collect large amounts of Monster Meat, Silk, and Spider Glands, players can use the following technique:
- Plant multiple Spider Dens around their base.
- When Spiders are wandering around during the dusk/night, feed one a piece of Meat and order it to attack another Spider.
- This will cause all of the Spiders nearby to swarm the offending follower.
- This will cause a huge war amongst the Spiders with all Spiders nearby killing each other.
- Simply hold Spacebar for PC, A for Xbox One, or "X" for PS4 in the middle of the battlefield to collect dropped items.
- Note: To order a spider to attack another spider, press whatever key/button for attacking an enemy (For example, "F" on keyboard), then immediately move the character to cancel the attack. If it is done too fast, nothing will happen. If done too slow, the player will end up attacking the spider, and some spiders will try to attack back. If timed just right, Webber will say something (Example: "En garde!") but won't attack, thus making the ally spider do the work for the player and starting the war.
- In DST Webber's favorite food is Ice Cream, meaning he gains 15 bonus when consuming the food.
- Befriended and pacified spiders will now not attack walls.
- Den decorating sets will also affect non decorated dens as long as it is near one.
- Nurse spiders will only heal 8hp for webber.
- All spiders will be affected by food now.
- Spiders and Spider Queens will be neutral to webber.
- Webber doesn't lose sanity while being near spiders.
- Note that feeding unfriendly spiders inside your inventory will not befriend them.
- Switcher doodles also befreind spiders immediately without having to feed them.
- Spiders can now be caught at traps without killing them.
- Webber can now eat any type of meat in the entire game with no penalties.
- Loyal Spiders will still be loyal to Webber even you exit a server just as long as Webber is close to them.
- Spiders can now return to dens that no longer exists.
- Friendly spiders will now not drain other player's sanity.
- Den decorated pacified spiders will now not aggro if players walk near their dens.
- Attacking as Webber would now not allow us from targeting friendly spiders.
- Players could no longer shave dead, burning or frozen dens.
- Nurse spiders will no longer heal dead spiders.
- Spiders could no longer return to burning or frozen dens.
- Only Webber could use the spider whistle.
Webber's quotes can be found here.
- Webber was added to Don't Starve: Reign of Giants in the Giant Steps update on April 2, 2014.
- In response to a fan comparing Webber's voice to the sound of someone dropping a synthesizer down a flight of stairs, sound designer Matt replied "I won't say I did drop a synth down the stairs... but I won't say I didn't..."
- He is one of six characters that cannot be unlocked via experience, alongside Wes, Maxwell, Wilbur, Woodlegs, and Wilba.
- When struck by Lightning, the Spider's skeleton is shown instead of Webber's human skull, suggesting that his head is actually inside the Spider's skull.
- The examination lines used for Webber right after unlocking him and before he disappears are the same lines used for characters on the Nightmare Throne. For example, Wilson will say "He's trapped!"
- Webber is the only character whose skull is used in game.
- On one of Klei's streams, Frog Webber was shown. Frog Webber - A character with Webber's ability, but at the same time having additional features. He was able to jump with a cane. Maybe frogs wouldn't attack him. The parameters of health, hunger and sanity are the same as those of Webber. The mod with him was later released by Klei for DST.
- It's possible that Webber came into the Constant before Wilson, and died in the world. This would explain Spiders taking his skull. If this is true, then Webber is revived once his skull is buried in the Grave.
- His quote when examining Maxwell ("That jerk tricked us.") and his quote for the Maxwell Statue ("That's the guy who said he could help us."), suggests that he has been fooled into entering the Constant by being promised something which he immensely desires by Maxwell. This is similar to the backstory of Wilson where Maxwell tricks him with what he desires, which may also be the case for other characters.
- Because Webber is a young boy, he makes childish comments.
- Webber refers to himself with both singular (I, Me, My) and plural (We, Us, Our) pronouns, suggesting a two-minds-one-body relation. It's likely that he is referring to the Spider that ate him when not referring to himself directly.
- According to his inspection comment for a Redbird, Webber's favorite color is red. However, when examining a Blue Spore, he will say it is blue. The writer for Don't Starve: Together stated on Rhymes With Play #228 that this is meant to show that Webber likes all colors.
- According to Webber's Guest of Honor skin description and quote in Don't Starve: Together, he loves formal parties, unlike Wilson.
- According to his examination quote for Charcoal, Webber believes that his spider side is better.
- Webber's loading screen vignette is accompanied by text that reveals how he feels about his current situation: Webber could have easily seen his unique predicament as an affliction or a curse. Instead, he's chosen to view it as a second chance, and one that he fully intends not to waste.
- Webber's quotes reveal the existence of some of his family members as well as some insight into his home life prior to being eaten by a spider and entering the Constant. His mentioned family members include his father, mother, and grandfather.
- According to Webber's quote about the Alchemy Engine, Webber's dad might have been a scientist. On the other hand, he also states that his father kept goats and taught Webber how to raise them,. Webber also mentions that his father wore Top Hats and had a beard. 
- Webber's mother seemed to be typically mindful, warning Webber of the dangers of the kitchen and to always eat his vegetables. She took Webber antique shopping with her, and he remembers how she would make turkey dinner.
- Webber's grandfather taught him chess, made meatballs with him, and took him on fishing trips.   He also had a cat named Whiskers. Webber says that the Tam o' Shanter reminds him of his grandfather, which may mean that he is a Scottish descendant, or at least British. He also mentions that the Floral Shirt was "his Grandfather's style" and that the Kingly Figure "Reminds [him] of grandpa."
- His grandmother made preserves.
- Along with the above quotes about goat-keeping, Webber's family seems to have owned a farm, where they may have grown crops and owned a mill.
- According to his quote for the Battle Helm ("Haha! It's way too big for us!"), Webber is smaller in stature than Wigfrid at the very least.
- When Webber dies, he will drop two Souls if Wortox is nearby. This is also corroborated by Wortox's examination quote for Webber's Skull: "Hm. There's two souls wedged inside."
- Webber's Birthday is listed as April 30 in the Compendium. April 30, 2014 was the original release date for Reign of Giants.
- The description of Webber's Farmspider skin reads:"Webber's memories of his old appearance have gotten a little fuzzy over time."
- It seems like Webber and Wendy are best friends as hinted at their dialogues/short animations.
- For his Victorian skin, Webber wears a sailor suit, a popular type of children's clothing during the Victorian era.
- His El Tigre Cub skin may be a reference to Tiger Mask, a professional wrestling persona.
See also: Skins
|Webber getting hurt.|
|Webber drowning ().|
|Webber sinking ().|
|Webber's ghost voice ().|
|Webber's voice as he performs the /pose emote ().|
|Webber sighing, as part of the /sleepy emote ().|
|Webber yawning, as part of the /yawn emote ().|
|Webber singing the Starver's Carol, as part of the /carol emote ().|
- Steam DLC description:"...Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago."
-  Posted on May 5, 2021.
- Mattesque on the forums: In response to "Sounds like someone dropping synthesizer down the stairs.": "I won't say I did drop a synth down the stairs... but I won't say I didn't..." Posted on April 2, 2014.
- Webber's quote for the Alchemy Engine: "Father used to work on something like that."
- Webber's quote for Volt Goat: "My father kept goats."
- Webber's quote for Ewelet: "Father taught me how to take care of goats!"
- Webber's quote for Top Hat: "Like father used to wear."
- Webber's quote for Steel Wool: "Scratchy, like father's beard!"
- When Webber cook: "I don't want to. Mom always said the kitchen was dangerous!"
- Webber's quote for empty End Table: "Reminds me of antique shopping with mother."
- Webber's quote for Turkey Dinner: "Like mother used to make, in the before time!"
- Webber's quote for Clockwork Bishop: "You don't play by the chess rules grandpa taught me."
- Webber's quote for Meatballs: "I used to make these with grandpa!"
- Webber's quote for Fishing Rod: "I miss grandpa's fishing trips."
- Webber's quote for Catcoon: "A bit more feral than grandpa's cat.' / Webber's quote for Cat Tail: "I always liked pulling Whiskers' tail." / Webber's quote for Kittykit: "You look like grandpa's cat!"
- Webber's quote for Tam o' Shanter: "Reminds me of grandpa."
- Webber's quote for Floral Shirt: "Grandpa's style, definitely."
- Webber's quote for Kingly Figure: "Reminds me of grandpa."
- Webber's quote for Empty Bottle (DST): "It's like the jars grandma used for her preserves."
- Webber's quote for the Farm House: "Kinda reminds me of home."
- Webber's quote for the Hoe: I know how to use this!
- Webber's quote for Wheat: "If only I were back at the mill."
- Post on Klei's official Weibo account Posted October 10, 2019.
|Don't Starve||Wilson (quotes ⋅ clothes ⋅ gallery) • Willow (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wolfgang (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wendy (quotes ⋅ clothes) • WX-78 (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wickerbottom (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodie (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wes (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Maxwell (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wagstaff (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Reign of Giants||Wigfrid (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Webber (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Shipwrecked||Walani (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Warly (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wilbur (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodlegs (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Hamlet||Wilba (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wormwood (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wheeler (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Don't Starve Together||Winona (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wortox (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wurt (quotes ⋅ clothes) Walter (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wanda (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Removed||Warbucks (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Unimplemented||Wilton • Winnie • Wallace • Waverly • Pyro • Watricia|