Exclusive to: Shipwrecked.
Water Beefalo, also known as Ox, are the Shipwrecked version of Beefalo. They have the same characteristics as Beefalo, with the only differences being that the Water Beefalo do not drop Beefalo Wool if killed, they run faster than regular Beefalo, and they drop Horns instead of Beefalo Horns. They are native to the Mangrove biome and are usually found with a small herd. While they spend most of their time in water, they can also walk on land.
Similar to Beefalo, Water Beefalo will periodically drop Manure. When one of them is attacked, the entire herd will rush to their defense. They will huddle together at Dusk and sleep through the Night. Water Beefalo also go through a mating season. During this time, the Water Beefalo will remain neutral on water but be hostile on land.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Water Beefalo when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
|3 - 4|
|5 - 10|
|6 (4 )|
|15, 12 or 9|
|9 - 17|
|10 - 19 -|
|12 (7 )|
|15 (5 )|
- Leading the Sealnado to a large herd of Water Beefalo and fighting on the water is an effective tactic. The vortex AoE does not affect the Beefalo and they can withstand up to 7 melee strikes, allowing plenty of time for them to deal significant damage. Unfortunately, the Tiger Shark’s AoE dive attacks can lead to many Beefalo dying and massive spawns of Crocodogs and Sea Hounds so this tactic is less effective.
- An entire herd of Water Beefalo can easily be killed by attacking with a Boat Cannon while they huddle together during the Night. It should be noted that any meat dropped will be cooked and Horns will be burnt to ash. Using a Volcano Staff instead will not burn them if used in the water.
- Water Beefalo run faster than regular Beefalo and can reliably hit the player even while poisoned, so caution is advised when trying to kite them. It is especially dangerous to kite them with melee weapons while on a boat even with speed boosts from Coffee and an Iron Wind.
- Water Beefalo cannot enter the shallow waters outside their Mangrove Biome. By staying out of reach and attacking with ranged weapons, players can reliably farm them from a boat. It is wise to also have Bottlenose Ballphin allies to help with the resulting Crocodogs and Sea Hounds that are likely to spawn due to all the dropped meat.
- Water Beefalo cannot be shaved with a Razor, meaning there is no Water Beefalo Wool or similar to obtain. This feature might have been planned at some time during development, as in the game files textures for the "shaved" Water Beefalo can be found.
- The previous name for the Water Beefalo was Ox, they were renamed in the Hang Ten update.
- The Home Sea Home update poster has a Baby Water Beefalo. In game, however, Water Beefalo will just duplicate during the mating season.