Warly is one of the four playable Characters introduced in the Shipwrecked DLC. Warly is the ninth character to be unlocked via Experience, requiring 2560 XP to become available. On July 25, 2019, Warly was added to the roster of Don't Starve Together as the third character refresh and is available for free to all Don't Starve Together players.
–From the official description for Taste of Home.
The animated short Taste of Home revealed Warly's past. Before entering the Constant, Warly lived with his Maman Angeline. Maman Angeline had a form of dementia, which prevented her from recognizing Warly. She sat in a rocking chair with a blank look on her face. Warly entered the house and played her music from the gramophone, which she tapped her finger to. He cooked her Mussel Bouillabaise, one of her old recipes from his childhood. Once she took a bite of his food, Maman Angeline's memory came back and she smiled at Warly, finally able to recognize him. After enjoying the meal and seeing Warly, her memory faded again. Warly took the empty dish to the kitchen, but suddenly the gramophone began to play distorted music, and Warly disappeared. Maman was then left alone in the house.
His biography presented in DST's Compendium adds more details to his backstory:
Warly left a promising career as a sous chef in Paris to return home and care for his aging mother Angeline, whose memory had begun to deteriorate. His world soon revolved around telling her stories about her life, playing her favorite music, cooking the recipes she had taught him when he was young... all in the hopes of catching that spark of recognition in her eyes. As time went on and Angeline's moments of clarity became fewer and farther in-between, Warly became more desperate, willing to try anything to bring back his beloved Maman... That was when he first started hearing the voice on the radio.
Main article: Portable Crock Pot
Warly begins his adventure with a Portable Crock Pot; in addition to the functions of a normal Crock Pot, it can cook four special food items: Sweet Potato Soufflé, Monster Tartare, Fresh Fruit Crepes, and Mussel Bouillabaisse. The Portable Crock Pot can be carried around and placed at any time, so Warly does not have to build a Crock Pot in order to cook his meals. In addition, Warly starts with a Chef Pouch that doubles the life of Food items placed in it; he also knows its crafting recipe (1 Cloth and 1 Rope).
Warly gains 33% more Hunger, Health, and Sanity from Crock Pot meals, letting him regain more Health and Sanity than other Characters from those meals. If the food would reduce any of these attributes, the amount is decreased by 33% instead.
In addition to a 33% faster hunger drain, Warly gains only 70% of the Hunger, Sanity, and Health from raw foods, 80% from dried foods, and 90% from foods cooked over fire. If the food has negative effects on these attributes, the effect is increased by 30%, 20%, and 10% respectively instead. Ideally, his food should always be cooked in a Crock Pot, which can take valuable time depending on what was cooked.
Additionally, Warly likes variety in his diet. He remembers all food items eaten for 1.75 days since the last time they are eaten; if he eats the Food items that he remembers eating, he only gains a percentage of his normal Hunger, Sanity, and Health granted by the Food Item, while the negative effects are amplified by the same percentage. The percentage depends on how many times the food item is eaten before it is forgotten. The first repetition of the food item applies 10% penalty, the second 20%, the third 35%, the fourth 50% and finally the fifth repetition applies 70% penalty on the food values. Any further repetition does not increase this penalty.
In DST, Warly starts with 2 Potatoes, 1 Garlic, and a Portable Crock Pot in his inventory. He can craft the Portable Crock Pot and two additional cookware: a Portable Grinding Mill to make seasoning powders, and a Portable Seasoning Station to season any prepared foods.
Warly is the only character who can use this cookware. The Portable Crock Pot cooks 20% faster than the Crock Pot. It can also cook food items exclusive to it and DST (see Portable Crock Pot for recipes). Seasoned foods have additional benefits such as increasing work efficiency, increasing attack damage, or heightening damage absorption. Warly also only takes half as long (0.5 seconds) as other Characters (1 second) to cook food.
In DST, Warly's hunger drain is 20% faster than normal character. He is also completely unable to eat food that is not a prepared dish from a Crock Pot. He remembers the food he has eaten for 2 days. The first repetition of the food item applies 10% penalty, the second 20%, the third 35%, the fourth 50% and finally the fifth repetition applies 70% penalty on the food values. Any further repetition does not increase this penalty.
Warly is the only character who doesn't have a favorite food, meaning he will only ever receive a dish's baseline Hunger value.
Differently from SW, Warly does not gain bonus Hunger, Health, and Sanity from Crock Pot dishes.
- The following tips can be applied to both SW and DST:
- Thanks to the Chef Pouch's ability to extend the time food can be carried before it spoils, Warly can travel long distances without worrying about going hungry. He can also afford to bring meals that have higher benefits but lower spoilage times.
- If the Portable Crock Pot is not needed for a time, it can be used as a temporary marker on the map.
- Warly can make more Portable Crock Pots in Don't Starve Together, allowing for more permanent map markers.
- Since the penalty for eating the same meal in a row goes away after 1.75 Days, Warly can cook a cycle of Meaty Stew, Bacon and Eggs and even Meatballs without changing his diet. Said dishes are extremely filling and do not require intensive ingredient gathering.
- The variety penalty is treated as a multiplier when stacked with other penalties. For example, if Warly eats two of the same dried item, the second meal will only give 64% of the normal benefits.
- Between the penalties for eating other foods and the bonuses from Crock Pot meals, Warly should always try to cook his meals in a Crock Pot. Make sure to consider the cooking times when preparing his food.
- While the Chef Pouch ingredients require a Science Machine to prototype, they are also possible drops from hammering Crates, making it possible to create additional Chef Pouches without a Science Machine.
- Warly's penalty has slightly extended to 2 days. Players may be forced to cook simply more than Meaty Stew and Meatballs to sate Warly's tongue. Luckily, Bone Bouillon, Moqueca, and even Monster Tartare are filling meals that allow easier passage of survival.
- Since Warly starts with 2 Potatoes and 1 Garlic, Warly can cook Fancy Spiralled Tubers or Creamy Potato Purée to stave off the incoming hunger.
- Warly's new exclusive items like Seasonings and Volt Goat Chaud-Froid support others greater than simply himself. For example, Warly can feed Wormwood or Woodie Moose a dish with Garlic Powder so that both could remain in battle before needing to retreat.
Warly's quotes can be found here.
- Warly was added to Don't Starve: Shipwrecked in the Eye of the Tiger Shark update on January 14, 2016. He was the second Character to be added to the DLC during its Early Access phase.
- Before being implemented, he was known as Wastien in the game's speech files.
- Warly's voice is played by a steel drum.
- His old nickname was "The Chef", and his old motto was "Bon Appetit!"
- In the game files, the code for the Coffee recipe is seen in Warly's file, meaning that at one point coffee was intended for Warly only.
- Like most other characters, Warly has bones shown in his hair when he is struck by lightning.
- Warly is the fourth character from a Don't Starve DLC to be added to Don't Starve Together after Wigfrid, Webber, and Wormwood.
- In DST, his side sprite and character select portrait were given visual updates.
- In DST, Warly can use Willow's Lighter to cook food.
- Warly has a DST-exclusive idle animation in which he deeply sniffs a waft of air.
- Warly's skull was found in the DST files as of May 6, 2021.
- Warly is shown to be able to speak French. For example, whenever eating something made in a Crock Pot he says "Magnifique".
- Warly seems to be superstitious, as suggested from inspecting the Umbrella item: "I will try to remember not to open indoors." This is also evidenced by him saying, "I hope it does not rain after I kill you!" when attacking a spider.
- Warly's region of origin could be implied by his voice instrument. The steel drum was created in Trinidad and Tobago of the West Indies in the Caribbean (An area well known for its history of piracy). Additionally, he could have roots in Louisiana due to his quote for Seafood Gumbo: "Incredible! Just like Nana used to make!"
- In his quote for the Boomerang, Warly states that he has separation anxiety. An individual affected by this experiences excessive anxiety regarding separation from home and/or from people to whom the individual has a strong emotional attachment (e.g., a parent, caregiver, significant other, or siblings).
- This follows a theme established in his animated short Taste of Home where it is revealed he has been separated from his mother.
- His examination quote for Volt Goats reveals that he once owned a goat.
- Some of his quotes imply that he worked as a chef. For example, his quote for examining hot Lava Spit, "A chef-cuisinier never burns his fingers.". A chef-cuisinier is the French term for chef. Other quotes mention his sous chefs and saucier.
- His quote for the Ukulele reveals that he either plays or enjoys lute music.
- Warly seems to have once worked on a ship, given his quote for the Glass Castle ("Reminds me of the ice sculptures in the ship's dining hall.").
- Warly's birthday is listed as July 25 in the Compendium. July 25, 2019 was the day Warly was added to DST.
See also: Skins
|Warly getting hurt.|
|Warly drowning ().|
|Warly sinking ().|
|Warly's ghost voice ().|
|Warly's voice as he performs the /carol emote ().|
|Warly yawning, as part of the /yawn emote ().|
|Don't Starve||Wilson (quotes ⋅ clothes ⋅ gallery) • Willow (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wolfgang (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wendy (quotes ⋅ clothes) • WX-78 (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wickerbottom (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodie (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wes (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Maxwell (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wagstaff (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Reign of Giants||Wigfrid (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Webber (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Shipwrecked||Walani (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Warly (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wilbur (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodlegs (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Hamlet||Wilba (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wormwood (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wheeler (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Don't Starve Together||Winona (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wortox (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wurt (quotes ⋅ clothes) Walter (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wanda (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Removed||Warbucks (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Unimplemented||Wilton • Winnie • Wallace • Waverly • Pyro • Watricia|