Exclusive to: Don't Starve Together.
–Official description for Constant Companion 
The only thing that could ever rival Walter's love for the great outdoors was his fascination with monsters and mystery. Nothing captured his interest more than a spooky story heard over the radio or a local legend about an elusive cryptid.
It was that pursuit of the unknown that eventually led him to the Constant. While searching for a man who Walter believed would have answers to his questions about a mysterious creature rumored to live in the woods, he instead came upon an abandoned cabin. The owner seemed to have left hastily, leaving all their belongings behind... including an odd radio that miraculously still seemed to be working. With curiosity getting the better of him he investigated the radio further, springing a trap that had lain dormant for years...
Now finding himself trapped in the Constant, Walter has befriended another lost soul - a scruffy dog named Woby. Though much about her remains a mystery, Walter has vowed to one day return her to her rightful home (after all, returning lost dogs is the Pinetree Pioneer thing to do).
Walter has a Trusty Slingshot as an exclusive weapon with special Slingshot Ammo with varying effects. This weapon has no durability, but can still be crafted. Walter has access to an exclusive Slingshot Ammo Tab to craft ammo, crafting each type of ammo will create 10 pieces.
- Pebbles: Basic Ammo, deals 17 damage, requires Rocks to craft.
- Gold Rounds: Deals 34 damage, requires Gold nugget to craft, and a Science Machine to prototype.
- Marble Pellets: Deals 51 damage, requires Marble to craft, and an Alchemy Engine to prototype.
- Freeze Rounds: Has a similar Freezing effect as an Ice Staff, requires Moon Rock and Blue Gem to craft, and a Prestihatitator to prototype.
- Slow Down Rounds: Lowers the target's speed, requires Moon Rock and Purple Gem to craft, and a Shadow Manipulator to prototype.
- Poop Pellets: Causes the target to lose aggro, requires Manure to craft, and a Science Machine to prototype.
- Cursed Rounds: Deals 51 damage, spawns shadow tentacles, requires Thulecite Fragments and Nightmare Fuel to craft. Can only be crafted next to an Ancient Pseudoscience Station
- Melty Marbles Trinket: Deals 59.5 damage, cannot be crafted.
He has a Pinetree Pioneer Hat that reduces sanity drain from receiving damage by half. Furthermore, the sanity drain from missing health is reduced to 25% of its usual strength. He starts with one in his inventory, and can craft additional ones using 4 silk.
Woby is a special Mob that follows him around. She has 9 inventory slots, like Chester. She can be fed Monster Food to transform into big Woby. Walter can mount big Woby like a Beefalo. While riding Big Woby, Walter is unable to attack with any weapon, save for the Slingshot. Additionally, if Woby takes damage while Walter is riding her, she will buck him off, which will often result in Walter taking extra hits during the animation.
He does not lose sanity from negative aura effects such as Dusk/Night, monsters, Night Light or Nightmare Light. He also is not affected by sanity effect (negative or positive) from equipped items like Tam o' Shanter, Spiderhat, Seawreath or any other equipped items that are wet (he still suffers sanity drain when being wet himself). Walter's fearlessness however is not strong enough to protect him from shadow magic, hence he is affected by sanity drain/gain of the following items: Dark Sword, Night Armor, Amulets, Belt of Hunger, Thulecite Suit. He will still lose sanity from sources that instantaneously take away sanity, e.g.: picking up Evil Flowers, Telepoofing with The Lazy Explorer, eating certain foods, etc. Also he does not lose sanity when traveling through Worm Hole or Portal or when there is any Ghost Characters.
Like Willow and Warly, Walter cooks food over fire faster than other characters, he only takes half as long (0.5 seconds) as other Characters (1 second) to cook food. In addition, he is able to use Willow's Lighter to cook food.
Walter is able to restore +6 /min and receives only half the sanity drain from missing health when there are more than 5 Trees within a radius of 2.5 tiles around him.
During the Night, Walter can tell stories at a Campfire or Endothermic Fire by simply right-clicking on them. It generates a sanity aura of +10 /min for himself and all other survivors close to the fire.
Walter loses sanity when he loses health, the amount of sanity lost corresponding to twice the health lost. For damage over time (such as when Starving, Freezing, or Overheating) the sanity loss is equal to the health loss. The Pinetree Pioneer Hat halves the sanity lost from receiving damage.
Walter continuously loses sanity while his health is not full, up to -12 /min proportionally to his missing Health (0.2 sanity per 1 hp missing). The sanity drain is quartered when wearing a Pinetree Pioneer Hat or halved when near enough Trees (does not stack, Pinetree Pioneer Hat takes priority).
Also, the sanity gain from clothing items have no effect on him. Other effects, such as the Eyebrella's rain protection still apply.
Because Walter has Woby, he is unable to adopt a pet from the Critter Den.
Walter's quotes can be found here.
- Walter's voice sounds similar to an out of tune Bugle or a Blade of Grass whistle.
- Upon eating Glommer's Goop or Tallbird Egg, Walter will sing a song. The melody comes from "Great Green Gobs of Greasy, Grimy Gopher Guts" with the lyrics fit to the Don't Starve universe.
- Walter used to be immune to the insanity of the Dark Sword and the Night Armor. However, this was removed, as it wasn't intended for him to be immune to the effects of shadow magic.
- In Rhymes With Play # 278, it was mentioned that Walter was originally designed with a gap tooth, but it was omitted due to being difficult to implement.
- Walter's skull was found in the DST files as of May 6, 2021.
- Walter's quotes for the Farm Plots and Mothling show that he has a mother who disliked his love of bugs and collected porcelain (Leaky teacup: "My mom would kill me if I cracked her fine china").
- Some of Walter and Woodie's quotes for one another suggest that Walter is Canadian.
- Many of Walter's quotes for a Wes player suggest that he has Coulrophobia.
- Walter hates asparagus and figs, according to his quotes for them and their dishes.
- In DST, Willow's quote for Watermelon used to be "I once knew a melon named Walter. He was a jerk." and it was changed to "But where's the firemelon?" as of the She Sells Sea Shells update. The same was done for her Grilled Watermelon quote which was changed from "Warm, sweet, juicy Walter." to "I made my own firemelon." These quotes were changed to avoid confusion over the new character.
- Sometimes a message like this may appear during the loading screen in DST: "Walter's time in the Pinetree Pioneers has made him more prepared than most for surviving in the wilderness. Unfortunately, this is undermined somewhat by his blind fascination with monsters."
- His "Boy Detective" skin is possibly a reference to the character Angus McDonald from the podcast The Adventure Zone. Angus is also known as a "boy detective" and wears a similar outfit.
See also: Skins
|Walter getting hurt.|
|Walter's ghost voice.|
|Walter sighing, as part of the /sleepy emote.|
|Walter yawning, as part of the /yawn emote.|
|Walter singing the Starver's Carol, as part of the /carol emote.|
|Walter's song that he sings when he eats Glommer Goop or a Tallbird Egg.|
|Walter performing an emote.|
- Don't Starve Together - May QOL Update Posted on May 28, 2020.
- Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th! Posted on June 10, 2020.
- Walter & Woby Now Available!. Posted on June 15, 2020.
- JoeW on the Forums: "Yeah - it's a thing where they thought of the new name, then went back and looked to clear out anything that would coincide with the name... Anyway. They don't know each other." Posted on May 28, 2020.
- JoeW on the Forums: "That string is outdated on the Wiki, we changed it a while back. Willow did not know Walter". Posted on May 28, 2020.
|Don't Starve||Wilson (quotes ⋅ clothes ⋅ gallery) • Willow (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wolfgang (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wendy (quotes ⋅ clothes) • WX-78 (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wickerbottom (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodie (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wes (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Maxwell (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wagstaff (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Reign of Giants||Wigfrid (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Webber (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Shipwrecked||Walani (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Warly (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wilbur (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodlegs (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Hamlet||Wilba (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wormwood (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wheeler (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Don't Starve Together||Winona (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wortox (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wurt (quotes ⋅ clothes) Walter (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wanda (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Removed||Warbucks (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Unimplemented||Wilton • Winnie • Wallace • Waverly • Pyro • Watricia|