Exclusive to: Shipwrecked.
The Volcano Staff is a Volcanic Item introduced in the Shipwrecked DLC. It requires 1 Fire Staff, 4 Obsidian and 1 Dragoon Heart to craft. It can also occasionally be found in X Marks the Spot Treasure Chests, has has a 50% chance of being found in the Chest of the Depths dropped by the Quacken with 3-5 uses. Additionally, the staff can be found as Set Piece with the staff in the middle and 6 Obsidian forming a circle around it. When the staff is picked up from the Set Piece, even by a Prime Ape, the Volcano immediately erupts and Dragoon Eggs rain from the sky. Like all items in the Volcanic Tab, it cannot be prototyped and the player must always be wearing a Brain of Thought or must be near an Obsidian Workbench to craft it again.
When used, it rains down Dragoon Eggs where the spell was cast. There is a small chance for some of the Dragoon Eggs to stay intact, and Lava Pools will also form. When the player is on land, the Volcano Staff can only be targeted on land terrain. If cast close to the ocean, dragoon eggs may fall in the ocean and create Big Waves. When the player's on boat, it can only be targeted on sea terrain.
When the Volcano Staff is brought to a base game, Reign of Giants or Hamlet world via the Seaworthy or Skyworthy and used there, it will fail to activate and nothing will happen, accompanied by the player's character saying that it will not work there.
- When cast on a dead Whale, each Dragoon Egg that hits the carcass will advance the bloating stage by 1.
- The Volcano Staff can be used on a herd of Water Beefalo when they are grouped together at dusk and night. Surrounding Mangrove Trees will be harvested if hit but will otherwise regrow. This method is better than using Boat Cannon, Coconade, or Obsidian Coconade since there is less chance of spreading fire and burning down the biome. Be aware that Crocodogs and Sea Hounds are likely to spawn due to the massive amount of meat dropped.
- Similar to using explosives, casting the Volcano Staff on a cluster of Magma Piles results in higher quality drops and Krissures. It can also be used on Obsidian Boulders in lieu of gunpowder. Having Ice ready to use on any Lava Pools spawned is recommended for even more Obsidian gained.
- The Volcano Staff is useful for mining and relocating large amounts of Coral quickly as an alternative to Boat Cannons and Coconades.
- On console editions, having a Boat Lantern equipped prevents the use of the Volcano Staff while at sea. Removing the lantern will allow normal use of the staff. This bug also prevents use of other equipment such as the Spyglass while on a boat.
- The crafting description is a reference to the folk tale Henny Penny, more commonly known as "Chicken Little", in which the same phrase is repeatedly used to indicate the end of the world.
- If the player is killed by their own summoned Dragoon Eggs, the cause of death in the Morgue will be listed as "Shenanigans".