FANDOM


  • So, after seeing a discussion about the characters in Shipwrecked (and also the suggestion of the mighty Mentalistpro), I decided to do this post, so we can discuss the highs and lows of the characters

    You may think that just because this WIKI has the info about every character, but myself have problems playing with....let's say, Willow.

    Yes, she comes with an infinite torch and gains sanity from fire.....but what else? even excluding the fact that she was destroyed in DST, There's no real point in playing with her, the lighter can easily be replaced with torchs or the Miner Hat(in near mid-game)

    -Oh.....But you need resourses for that, you know? her lighter doesn't need anything!

    Yeah.....you mean those resourses she burned right now at 60 sanity? 

    Do you get what I mean?

    So, there's plenty of stuff to discuss, like how impossible is to play with Webber in Adventure mode, or the disaster that is Wilbur

    What are the highs and lows for you?

      Loading editor
    • I disagree with you on Willow and she is actually one of my favorite characters! And she also needed to have some put downs in DST because having an unlimited torch would be a little OP for pure survival. Also she is the first unlockable character so she is meant for new players to get used to what would be coming up. Also Willow can cook with her lighter which makes her better in DST! Anyway my least favorite character is Woodie because it feels like I can't use his powers! Anyway that's my opinion! :)

        Loading editor
    • I'd start saying that it is impossible to really have a balanced character (hint on DST). Unfortunately, the more you try to balance people and at the same time you keep adding more features, the less likely you're to succeed in having a balanced character.

      My favorite character got to be Wickerbottom, mainly because I'm insomniac as well. That she has books just makes it all the better. If you say her downside is managing Sanity I'd have to say that is the same for all of us. I hardly sleep regardless of the character, and I'd much rather spend my low sanity farming for Nightmare Fuel than sleeping, and dying is just another part of the game. Spoiled food hardly matters when you can have Dragon Pies, and most of the times that's mostly what I eat.

      WX-78 would easily be my favorite did I not identify myself with Wickerbottom so much. On the long run it makes the OPest character, simply because it can upgrade. Not to mention the spoiled food eating, I'd say that wetness is more of a bother than a real penalty. Dealing with lighting hardly matters, considering that during winter you get to make an eyebrella.

      The thing about Willow, as you say, is due to her "spontaneous combustion". At first I loved Willow, but soon I started to be more annoyed at how often I'd find myself burning down my forests and how little I needed charcoal compared to boards and logs. Her lighter hardly matters in the long run, being next to useless when you need to see in the dark, being useful only in the beginning when you need to find a good location for a base and in the odd occasions when for some reason or another you forgot to keep some grass and twigs with you in case of an emergency. Also, sanity thanks for fire? That sounds terrific, if you actually had the luxury to spend a good time next to something aflame, and sleeping did not recover more sanity.

      Talking about SW, the new characters seem pretty bland to me. Though Woodlegs is nice, I hardly see the other characters as useful. Wilbur... is... what? A monkey, seriously? And which main perk is running? In a world where finding good stretch of land is close to impossible? The best place where you'd make good use of Wilbur is if you decided to make base in the Volcano. Then you might as well make use of your running. Other than that, monkeys will hardly matter.

      Warly cooking pot, and consequently his food nitpickness just means I'm eating Meat Stew whenever I need hunger points. For healing, nothing like Honey Poultice, specially when there's a huge Tidal Marsh island for the picking. Sanity could have been a bother though, were it not for some of the ridiculous huge sanity food which are not much of a problem at all to make added by SW (Gumbo, Surf and Banana Pop). All in all, Warly is more of a bother than really interesting to play.

      And I could go on and on talking about all the characters but I believe this is long enough.

        Loading editor
    • Videogamer56432 wrote:
      I disagree with you on Willow and she is actually one of my favorite characters! And she also needed to have some put downs in DST because having an unlimited torch would be a little OP for pure survival. Also she is the first unlockable character so she is meant for new players to get used to what would be coming up. Also Willow can cook with her lighter which makes her better in DST! Anyway my least favorite character is Woodie because it feels like I can't use his powers! Anyway that's my opinion! :)

      Even if she is able to cook in DST, they removed her fire protection, that was the best perk of the character in the first game, which agains returns her to the -1 perk status

      ~Bernie?

      ~(once unlimited) lighter 

      ~(limined)Fire resistence

      -(once) Burned everything when insane/ (now) Freezes when insane


      But yeah, I also have difficulties to understand Woodie

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, woodie is really different in DST than singleplayer. I had a hard time understanding the changes...

        Loading editor
    • It all comes down to what you know about the character, how to utilize that knowledge, and which play styles you like. Willow, from your example, has two strengths which allow building strategies around. First, she gains sanity from fires without a rate cap. As such, she's the fastest sanity gaining character. And also arguably the cheapest outside of Maxwell, who gains sanity for free. Additionally, she loses sanity at a normal rate. As such, as an example, she'd have least problem with high insanity auras, such as Deerclops; and she can farm nightmare fuel from nightmare creatures with less preparation. Second, she's immune to fire. When people hear this, they first think "so what, fire is easily avoidable". True, but also not the point. She can literally light things on fire in her inventory. These items still provide light and warmth, as well as doing damage to the surroundings. As such, she can wander during winter with much less preparation and literally no reason to stop for light or warmth. Plus if you can manage, she becomes a walking AOE killer.

      You also mentioned Webber in adventure mode. Webber can befriend spiders, which are encountered frequently in adventure mode. Plus spiders are not hostile, so the spider den blocker is not only an open way, it is also a supporting structure for him.

      I'm not sure what your issue is with Wilbur, but he is one of the strongest characters in SW. His ability to run is fairly powerful, plus prime ape army can be utilized to collect resources for you, for free. Being able to collect grass and twigs while you are cutting down trees is pretty much overpowered in a game where the time is your most valuable resource.

        Loading editor
    • For me you should stop judging the characters, Don't Starve is not a character costumizing game when you can Manure around and make your own character with super cool abilities. This game is about using a not-so-good character and make great things with him, is about crafting, building, surviving, not complaining about the characters.

      Let's take a looks at a similar game with Don't Starve, Minecraft. Minecraft character has no powers at all, all you do is change his skin and that's all, is the player which makes him great not he himself. This is a game not a movie. So stop complaining about the characters and play better.

      If you die in day 2 with Willow its not her fault, is yours, you are a complete noob (not talking about any of you). I'm not saying then i'm the best don't starve player ever, but at least i don't complain about the game. I have a lot to say too but i think this is enough. 

        Loading editor
    • First up:

      Webber is in no way impossible in Adventure Mode. What makes him different? Sanity? Please, Sanity's not that hard to keep up at a certain point, and the low sanity is actually a good thing. Going sane quickly and going insane quickly. 

      And about Willow: DST Willow is total shite, forget she even exists. Her lighter is not a reason to play her. You know what is? Having all these cool ways to regain sanity extremley quickly(Competing with freaking Maxwell). Being able to light things on fire in inventory and get extra dps, WHILE regaining sanity from doing so(also gunpowder works). And more tricks.

      Basically Willow's a niche, but when you fullfill her potential, you can do some great things

        Loading editor
    • Oh come on guys, you don't even try to search dst guide sections? I wrote one guide about dst Woodie, made from my experiences as he is my most favorite character.

      Woodie Guide by Miami Disco

        Loading editor
    • Warly was pretty good and was the character I used for my 4th longest survival period (3 if you don't count Shipwrecked ones, I was playing Reign of Giants), though I haven't played him after he got nerfed. I don't know if he's still as good, but it seems kind of annoying that you have to constantly vary your diet, even though there are only about 5 crock pot recipes that are actually useful for maintaining hunger.

        Loading editor
    • I'll be the first to admit, Don't Starve has some major balance issues when it comes to the playable characters.

      Take Wickerbottom for example, she gets a huge advantage over most characters with her ability to make science-machine tier recipes from the very beginning, which makes the beginning of the game extremely easy, and considering you can obtain gears relatively easily (As she does have a high starting sanity, making digging graves a valid option rather than playing robot Chess) for the icebox to counteract her inability to eat spoiling foods. This makes sanity and her inability to sleep are her only real drawbacks.

      On the other end of the spectrum we have WX-78, who starts of as a complete pushovers in terms of stats in the beginning. But they can get more powerful, in terms of stats, than Maxwell once you consume enough gears, this is somewhat balanced by gears being difficult to get out of clockwork pieces, Becuase of it's low starting health, and with WX's low sanity, digging graves is really risky, which can make his upgrades a pain in the Beefalo's behind to get.

      With the amount of balance issues this game has, It's no wonder why I play as Wilson 90% of the time.

        Loading editor
    • Toadtoad12345 wrote:

      With the amount of balance issues this game has, It's no wonder why I only play as Wilson.

      pretty much agree with you, Wilson is the most balanced one. for the issue of WX-78, i rather they set up a cap for the power he gained from gears.

        Loading editor
    • Toadtoad12345
      Toadtoad12345 removed this reply because:
      It does not need to be here, as it was meant to be a Reply, but I accidentally posted it separately.
      15:56, May 13, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Mentalistpro wrote:

      Toadtoad12345 wrote:

      With the amount of balance issues this game has, It's no wonder why I only play as Wilson.

      pretty much agree with you, Wilson is the most balanced one. for the issue of WX-78, i rather they set up a cap for the power he gained from gears.

      Have you seen my edited post? I clarified things significantly better.

        Loading editor
    • yea just saw it lol! Template:Tick

        Loading editor
    • Mentalistpro wrote: yea just saw it lol! Template:Tick

      Yeah, I was just wondering, considering you quoted my original post.

        Loading editor
    • Vision0 wrote:
      First up:

      Webber is in no way impossible in Adventure Mode. What makes him different? Sanity? Please, Sanity's not that hard to keep up at a certain point, and the low sanity is actually a good thing. Going sane quickly and going insane quickly. 

      And about Willow: DST Willow is total shite, forget she even exists. Her lighter is not a reason to play her. You know what is? Having all these cool ways to regain sanity extremley quickly(Competing with freaking Maxwell). Being able to light things on fire in inventory and get extra dps, WHILE regaining sanity from doing so(also gunpowder works). And more tricks.

      Basically Willow's a niche, but when you fullfill her potential, you can do some great things

      Everything seems fine going on adventure mode with webber until you get to "Darkness", them you'll see(no pun intended) how low sanity will kill you there. Spider barriers are so easy to trespass with the other characters, while playing with wilson I could simply pass through it in "The Game is Afoot" with more than 120Hp(Backpack+Football helmet) by simply burning them down. The same in the spider/bee island in Archipelago . The only useful thing was the ability to eat Monster Meat which became REALLY useful through the entire mode

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.