The Constant, unofficially referred to as Maxwell's World, is the main setting of Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together. Many of the main characters were trapped in this world through various means and are forced to survive its many perils. The Constant was first named in Don't Starve Together in the text description of certain Curios released during The Forge in 2017.
The Constant consists of all the playable areas of Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together, including the Surface World, the Caves, the Ruins, and possibly the worlds of Shipwrecked and Hamlet. These areas are contained in separate dimensions within the Constant itself. In Don't Starve Together, the Florid Postern connects these dimensions, allowing survivors to travel between them.
The Constant is under the influence of "Them" and the current occupant of the Nightmare Throne. During Don't Starve, the throne was ruled by Maxwell, but by the end of Adventure Mode, he is freed and replaced by the player character. As of Don't Starve Together's expansion A New Reign, the throne was taken from Wilson by Charlie.
Much of the Constant as encountered by the characters in Don't Starve and its DLCs was designed by Maxwell through an unknown method of experimentation. According to Maxwell, when he was first brought to the Constant there wasn't much in existence, and he built onto it during his time on the Nightmare Throne. However, many things existed in the world before Maxwell's reign such as Merms, the ruins of an ancient civilization, and Depths Worms. It's implied that many of the features added in A New Reign are creations of Charlie.
Time doesn't flow normally in the Constant. This is expressed through Maxwell and Charlie who both wonder how much time has passed in the real world in certain quotes, and through observation by Wagstaff. Wagstaff also notes that the rates of plant growth, meat drying, and Beefalo hair regrowth are unnaturally fast.
Characters from the real world have entered the Constant through different methods. Maxwell and Charlie were taken into the Constant through the Codex Umbra, as shown in The Amazing Maxwell - The Final Act. This event is implied to have caused the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake.
In Forbidden Knowledge Maxwell (through a Voxola Radio) offered Wilson secret knowledge to build the portal known as Maxwell's Door which brought Wilson into the Constant once activated. In Next of Kin it was revealed that Wagstaff built a similar door portal and used it to travel to the Constant himself. Activating the portal created an explosion that destroyed the portal and eventually his entire factory. Winona was able to repair the portal before the building collapsed and Charlie came through it in her Shadow/Monster form to take Winona. Despite entering the Constant within a close period of time, Wagstaff entered during Maxwell's reign (Don't Starve) and Winona entered either just before or after Charlie usurped the throne (Don't Starve Together).
- According to Rhymes with Play #162, the Constant is a separate dimension from the "hub" mentioned by Battlemaster Pugna.
- The Constant has not yet been directly named in-game outside of flavor text for various Curios, though Maxwell still refers to it as "his world" in some of his examination quotes in Don't Starve Together.
- Wilba and Wormwood from the Hamlet DLC, and Wurt from Don't Starve Together, are the only survivors to originate from the Constant itself. Wortox from Don't Starve Together is from a different plane of existence altogether.
- ↑ Florid Postern Portrait Frames flavor text: "Wilson and Maxwell constructed the first prototype of the Florid Postern, connecting the survivors' dimensions and allowing them to band together."
- ↑ Maxwell's Adventure Mode speech: "There wasn't much here when I showed up."/"Just dust. And the Void. And Them."/"I've learned so much since then. I've built so much."
- ↑ Merm Vignette: "Merms inhabited the marshes of The Constant long before humans, and will probably exist long after."
- ↑ Maxwell quotes: DS Depths Worm (emerged)- "Well that's new!" / DST Depths Worm (emerged)- "I didn't make that one! Honest!"
- ↑ Maxwell's Adventure Mode speech: "What year is it out there? Time moves differently here."
- ↑ Charlie's comments in Winona's speech file: "You've changed so much./How much time has passed for you?"
- ↑ Wagstaff quotes: Dusk- "A conspicuously rapid sunset! Time must flow strangely here."
- ↑ Wagstaff quotes: Grass Tuft (picked)- "Luckily the growth rate here is extraordinarily rapid."/Drying Rack (finished)- "Food dries so rapidly here!"/Beefalo (naked)- "Fascinating! Its hair is already rapidly growing back."
- ↑ Maxwell quotes: Canary- "How do these things keep getting into my world?"/Antlion (upset)- "It's going to wreak havoc on my world."/Battlecry (Deer)- "You do not belong in MY world!"/Diseased Twiggy Tree- "What has brought this blight upon my world?"