The Telltale Heart is a craftable Survival item only available in Don't Starve Together. It can be used to revive dead players by left-clicking on the ghost of the dead player. It can be crafted without a Science Machine using 3 Cut Grass and 1 Spider Gland.
Upon crafting the Telltale Heart, the player who crafted it will lose 40 Health. If a player does not have enough health to craft the heart they will not be able to craft it (if they lose the health while crafting, crafting will reduce them to 1 health, after which they will most likely die to the other damage source, such as freezing or fire).
After a living player gives the heart to a ghost, the living player receives 80 Sanity, and the ghost is revived with an additional 25% (1/4) of their maximum health removed along with normal resurrection penalties. The health penalty received by a Ghost using this item can be removed through the use of a Booster Shot. Ghost Players cannot haunt the heart to revive, they must have it given to them by a living character.
- The name of this item is a reference to Edgar Allan Poe's short story, The Tell-Tale Heart.
- Armor used to reduce the health cost of this item, but it was patched. Wearing armor no longer lowers the health lost.
- Telltale Hearts stored in a Chest will make an audible heart beat sound, and multiple ones will sound like rain striking a tent. This enhances the reference to Allan Poe's story, in which the main character has auditory hallucinations that leads him to believe that the heart of the victim that he murders still beats under the floor where he hid the corpse.
- When other characters examine the player that has revived another one using a Telltale Heart, their examination quotes will reflect this.
- It used to cost 5 grass to make a Telltale Heart, but the crafting recipe was changed.
- Abigail's soul is already bound to her flower, so the heart has no effect on her.
- Telltale Hearts can be given to the angry Ghosts that emerge from desecrated Graves, but the Character will always change their mind and refuse at the last second.
- It is advised to stockpile a few telltale hearts when the character has full or nearly full health.