Smallbirds are passive mobs that have been hatched from a Tallbird Egg and can fly briefly, unlike teens and adults. A Smallbird will grow into a Teenbird (or Smallish Tallbird) after 10 full days. They are considered innocent creatures and killing one adds 6 points to the player's naughtiness level.
Smallbirds require 20 hunger points per day and will demand food by chirping when hungry ( < 50%). When starving ( = 0), they will die after 4 game hours (2 minutes). They can be fed any type of Seeds. They will eat seeds off the ground when they are hungry. Eating anything heals them to full health.
Smallbirds will follow the player and attack the player's targets. If the player moves far enough away from the Smallbird while it is sleeping at night, it will wake up to move closer to the player before falling asleep again. Since they have very small Health, players must be careful when fighting strong mobs or groups of them. Other birds won't run away from Smallbirds and can be a good way to get Feathers and Morsels. Note that Smallbirds can trigger Tooth Traps and Bee Mines, likely killing them.
When idle, a Smallbird will either bounce around or cock its head/body at an angle with a puzzled look.
See also: Hatching Tallbird Egg
Reign of GiantsEdit
Below is the number of hits it takes (with a default damage modifier) to kill a Smallbird. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
|No. of hits for||12||4||3||2||2||2||2||1-2||1 or 2||1||1||1||1||2||1||1||1|
- Although eggs hatched by the player create Smallbirds, eggs left in a nest without an adult Tallbird present will create an instant adult.
- In older versions of the game, Abigail would aggro and kill Smallbirds. Since the "Strange New Powers" update, Abigail has come to accept all friendly "Followers".
- A Smallbird can be used as a Steam chat emoticon.
- Two Smallbirds can be seen on a Steam profile wallpaper, which can be earned by crafting or trading.
- A Smallbird may vanish as it hatches from its egg.
- If a Smallbird gets stuck on the other side of an ocean barrier, the player can enter a cave and then exit the cave to fix the bug. Relogging will not fix this issue.
- Feeding a Smallbird/Smallish Tallbird during the growing animation may cancel the animation process. Relogging will fix the issue.
- Sometimes, a Tallbird that respawns after death, will kill the smallbird that was spawned from its egg.