Spider Warriors are dangerous protectors of Spider Dens. They are stronger and slightly larger than Common Spiders, able to leap a considerable distance to attack threats. They are only ever seen when a medium- or large-size Spider Den is attacked, or when a Spider Queen detects a threat nearby.
Spider Warriors can easily be distinguished by their yellow stripes, which gave them the nickname of "Tiger Spiders".
Behavior[edit | edit source]
When a Spider Den is attacked directly, or when it senses that a nearby Spider was attacked, several Spiders and Spider Warriors come out growling and chase the threat away. (In the Reign of Giants DLC, a "nearby Spider" is one just on the sticky webbing.) After chasing the offending monster, player, or pig too far from their den, Spiders will prefer to return home, though Spider Warriors are willing to chase things farther and to even stand guard outside until the next morning.
Angered Spider Warriors attack by snapping at their targets or even by leaping at them from considerable distances.
Sleeping Spider Warriors can usually sense a threat from farther away than other sleeping Spiders.
Webber[edit | edit source]
Spider Warriors can be valuable allies to Webber, as they attack both monsters and animals while completely regarding him as one of their own. He can lead angry masses of foes to a Spider Den and the spiders will fight at his back (or he can watch the two sides destroy each other). Either way, he should collect drops quickly before the spiders eat them, and he should be careful not to hit them.
Hunting[edit | edit source]
Spider Warriors are faster than common Spiders, have twice as much health, and cannot be stunned. It usually takes a half-dozen or more hits to kill one, and it takes fast dodges and rapid strikes to kill them without being wounded. Fighting on a Road or carrying a Walking Cane is recommended. Spiders usually can't outrun a target in full flight beyond their den's sticky webbing.
Spider Warriors' leaps can be dodged by Players who are quick enough to get out of the way. After a Spider Warrior has attacked, it cannot strike again for a moment, creating an opportune time to strike 7 or 8 times.
As long as the player is within the melee range of the Spider Warrior, it will not use its jump attack and use its normal bite attack.
Spider Warriors are vulnerable to Traps, even getting caught in them as they leap through.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill Spiders when playing with characters with no damage modifier. (The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.)
|No. of hits for
||48||15||12||8||7||6||5||4–7||3 or 5||4||4||3||2||1|
Usage & Farming[edit | edit source]
Although Spiders are a dangerous foe early on and a constant nuisance later on, a properly tended-to Spider Den can become a useful source of Spider Glands, Monster Meat, and Silk. Spider Glands are an important healing ingredient, used in Healing Salves, Telltale Hearts, and, Wendy's Revenant Restorative. Monster Meat, used sparingly, can be a meaty ingredient in Crock Pot recipes. Silk is a vitally important resource for surviving the cold Winter, but it's also necessary for fishing, beekeeping, birdkeeping, and (by extension) controlled agriculture. All of these things make them a prime candidate for farming, which can be done fairly easily.
A word of caution to the unwary: A den mustn't be left unattended for too long, or it might grow legs and walk off. A mature, overgrowing Spider Den can turn into a Spider Queen, who walks away leaving the old den behind, and plant itself in a new location as a fresh den. The queen is very dangerous, and she can overrun an entire base. Mature Spider Dens should be knocked down and replanted to avoid the risk of ever seeing a queen.
Spider Eggs can be recovered from mature Spider Dens when destroyed. Simply planting one or two of these inside enclosed walls will usually be sufficient containment, as Spiders will not often try to break walls. (If they do, they usually won't succeed before night falls.)
With an enclosure established, a method of killing is needed. One way is to set the enclosure around a Tentacle, something deadly that Spiders will quickly go to attack after they emerge. Spiders can be sent wave after wave against a Tentacle with little to no effect, and they'll disregard drops from slain Spiders. However, the Player should beware of the Tentacle when picking up the drops.
Shipwrecked[edit | edit source]
Spider Warriors in the Shipwrecked DLC are larger, greener, and venomous, able to Poison things that threaten their dens. Poison doesn't go away, and it needs to be cured with Anti Venom. It can be protected against by wearing a Seashell Suit or a Horned Helmet.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Spider Warriors were added in the update, Long Live the Queen.
- Spiders are the mobs with the greatest variation in the game. They have a total of 8 varieties, including the queen spider, the venomous Spider Warrior from Shipwrecked, and the Shattered Spider from Don't Starve Together.
- One "spider family" comprises the 4 Surface Spiders, almost all of whom can be found sharing the same Den. (It's impossible to find mainland Warrior Spiders sharing a Den with the venomous variety found in Shipwrecked.)
- Another spider family is the 2 Cave Spiders, one of which spits webbing. They can be found sharing the same Spilagmite.
- The Dangling Depth Dwellers found in the Ruins are never seen with the other spider varieties.
- The Shattered Spiders found on Don't Starve Together's Lunar Island are never found sharing their Holes with other spider varieties.
- All varieties of Don't Starve's spiders have six legs instead of eight, unlike real spiders.
- Spider Warriors are visually based on jumping spiders but are brightly colored like any venomous spider. Jumping spiders are not venomous.
- Pigs used to eat dropped meats as fast as the Spiders, but now they delay doing so.
- It is safe to walk on the very edge of a Spider Den's sticky web. This usually works best if the webs come up to a coastline and there is no way around the web from the other side. This knowledge can be very handy to avoid fights.
- Characters have quotes for dead or sleeping Spider Warrior