The Spider Queen is an aggressive Boss Monster added to the game in the Long Live the Queen update. She has 1250 health and attacks by biting and stabbing with her sharp claws, doing 80 damage with each attack.
She spawns from overgrown Tier 3 Spider Dens when the player or other mobs wander close by. After spawning, she will give birth to Spiders every 20 seconds, and if the queen has a combat target, a third of these will be Spider Warriors. A Queen can have a maximum of 16 spiders following her. These spiders are automatically aggressive towards the player, but will retreat back to the Queen if the player gains enough distance away from them.
When a Queen spawns, her Tier 3 Den is replaced with a Tier 1 Den, unless there are 4 or more Dens/Queens within 60 units. This Tier 1 Den grows into a Tier 2 Den in 60 seconds. The new den can eventually grow into a Tier 3 Den to spawn another Queen, thus making the Spiderhat a renewable item. The Queen will plant herself as a Tier 1 Den after wandering for 1.5 game days, if she finds is at least 20 units away from other Dens/Queens and there is 3 units of free space.
Webber will not be attacked by a Queen or her Spiders, unless he attacks first.
A Spider Queen is not nocturnal like other Spiders, and will fall asleep at night if not engaged in combat.
Kiting is a process wherein a monster's attack is dodged, and then the monster is hit immediately after, but before the monster can attack again. The Queen attacks relatively quickly, but she is slow, so it is possible to attack her in the pauses between attacks. Always kill the recently birthed Spiders/Spider Warriors, though, before attempting to attack the Queen again. As always, good armor and weapons help a lot. If fighting without armor, having a couple of traps set around to kill the spawned spiders is a good idea. However, the Spider Queen can drain one's sanity (unless they are Webber or Walter) completely within thirty seconds (200 sanity), so it is advisable to keep the distance somewhat. Sanity-restoring items such as Taffy and Cooked Green Caps can be brought to counter the sanity drain.
Lure the Queen to a Pig Village, and let the Pigs attack her. Due to the kiting combat behavior of Pigs, the Queen and her spawned Spiders have trouble hitting them. As long as the Spiders she hatches are kept away from the Pigs, they should kill her quite quickly. This method also can prevent serious sanity drain.
If one can find a herd of Beefalo in heat, and get the Queen close enough to them for at least one Beefalo to target it, the whole herd will eventually join in on the Queen. The Beefalo will not eat the meat dropped like pigs do. However, due to the fact that Beefalos don't use a kite method of attack like pigs, the Queen will stand her ground and be able to kill at least 3-4 Beefalos single-handedly. Wearing a Beefalo Hat will allow the player to retrieve the drops without being attacked in the process.
If the player has a Spiderhat, it is possible to gather spider allies from Spider Dens and order them to attack the Queen. This is very useful for when on low health. If playing as the character Webber (Reign of Giants DLC), all the player must do is simply tame spiders with meat instead.
Lure the Queen to a Killer Bee Hive, as Killer Bees have the same kiting technique as Pigs do. When a Killer Bee attacks the Queen, and she strikes back, all nearby bees will become aggressive to the Queen, including normal Bees. Bees can also be captured using a Bug Net and released near the Queen. Bee Mines are another option to ensure that the bees will attack her, though they are more costly to craft than the net.
At the full moon, position Woodie (if playing as that character) near the Spider Nest. After he has transformed into the Werebeaver, proceed to attack the nest. This is preferable to attacking as Woodie due to the Werebeaver's strength, health, and lack of sanity drain.
If there is a Lureplant that has produced a meat lure or a Leafy Meat, it is possible to have the Spider Queen follow the player and, if any, her Spiders and Spider Warriors toward the Lureplant. The Lureplant's many Eyeplants will attack any of the spiders, including the Spider Queen, that come within their range of attack. Because Eyeplants are able to respawn, they will pop up elsewhere and be able to continue attacking as long as Spiders are within their radius. Also, since the Lureplant itself is not capable of attacking or defending itself, it won't be seen as a threat, and will not be attacked. Eyeplants will continue to reappear when destroyed, until the Spider Queen dies and no Spiders are left. Once the Spider Queen is killed by the Lureplant, the player must destroy it in order to obtain all the items that the Spider Queen has dropped upon death (if those were consumed by Eyeplants).
This is the easiest way to defeat the Spider Queen. Make 13 Blow Darts and shoot the Spider Queen as fast as possible, without letting her or her Spiders catch up.
The Pan Flute can be used to put the Spider Queen and her Spiders to sleep. The queen will remain asleep if the player attacks the spiders around her. With the Pan Flute's 10 uses providing intermittent chances to clear all of the queen's spider spawns, it is far easier to engage the queen one on one.
The Spider Queen can be easily killed by freezing her with an Ice Staff, placing 5 Gunpowder near her, lighting it on fire, and then finishing her off with a spear. However, if she is killed with 6 Gunpowder or more, all she will drop is Ashes and Cooked Monster Meat, since she took fire damage after the explosion, and thus, died by fire.
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Spider Queen when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
|7 - 9|
|13 - 25|
|14 (9 )|
|37, 28 or 21|
|22 - 43|
|23 - 46 -|
|29 (18 )|
|37 (13 )|
The Spider Queen will give birth to Spiders twice as fast, doing so every 10 seconds. If the Spider Queen has a combat target, she has a 22.5% chance to spawn Nurse Spiders, 22.5% chance to spawn Spider Warrior, 55% chance to spawn normal spider.
Spider Queen spawning from Tier 3 Dens can be accelerated by haunting the den. There is 10% chance of a haunt causing Tier 3 Den to become Spider Queen.
- Spider Queens will not aggro if spiders around them are attacked. This allows players to draw their attention and isolate the queen for a one on one fight if they can get the spiders to aggro without getting too close to the queen.
- Real world spiders have eight legs, but the spider queen only has six. This is a trend with all of the variations of Spiders in Don't Starve.
- In real life, there are few species of social spiders, none of which have a queen. The queens seen in Don't Starve are similar to queen bees, ants, and even termites.
- As a giant female spider, the Spider Queen is similar in appearance to Shelob from the Lord of the Rings books.
- Spiders in her entourage will seem to 'cower' before her, with their legs raised and their faces fearful. This behavior also occurs when the player wears the Spiderhat, or befriends Spiders while playing as Webber.
- Webber's quote may be a reference to the Daddy Long legs, an arachnid commonly mistaken for a type of spider.
- Fighting other mobs in the presence of a Spider Queen will cause "E.F.S." (the boss monster song) to play. As long as the player is not within her (and her spiders') aggro radius, the Spider Queen does not become aggressive to the player. This also applies to fighting near a Treeguard.
- Sometimes, when the Spider Queen is killed as she plants herself, she'll drop loot but still will leave a den.
- Sometimes, she'll also try to and often succeed in birthing a new spider before she fully disappears.
- Sometimes, when the Den is destroyed with loot dropping, the Spider Queen will still spawn before the Den fully disappears.
- If a Spider Queen emerges from a Spider Den that is too close to the ocean, it is possible for the Spider Queen to appear on the water, and not be able to get back on land.
- If a Spider Queen is spawning a spider and it frozen, she may be stuck in a loop of spawning the spider until she dies.