Shadow Puppets are Shadow Creature versions of Maxwell that do his bidding. While the puppets are active, they will aid Maxwell in combat as well as also aiding him in cutting trees and mining rocks. However, they have low health and will die quickly in combat against more able foes. Shadow Puppets will automatically die 2.5 days after their creation. Upon its death, the player gains back the 55 max sanity from the puppet.
In the Shipwrecked DLC, Shadow Puppets summon shadow Row Boats to follow Maxwell into the Ocean. The Shadow Puppets act as though they are sailing, yet the boats do not have Sails and have the same speed as a normal Row Boat. Shadow boats can only be driven by shadow puppets, and disappear when the puppet exits the boat. It is possible to enter a shadow Row Boat when not being used by a Shadow Puppet, by quickly entering it before it disappears. However, doing so results in a crash.
Unlike in single player, Shadow Puppets are not universal, instead they have to be chosen upon creation of which task they will be specialized in. As such, they do not mimic the actions that the player is performing, but instead spawn with a specific task which they perform. They also do not disappear after 2.5 days nor have a durability limit and stay active until they are killed. To dispel them, Maxwell or any other character can simply force attack (Ctrl/Cmnd) click them. Shadow Puppets will drop 1 Nightmare Fuel when killed or dispelled by players.
The Shadow Duelist cost 2 Nightmare Fuel, 1 Spear and -70 maximum sanity to summon. It defends the player from attackers as well as attack player's target. Naturally regenerates 15 health every 2 seconds.
Given the loss in sanity, the player can summon a maximum of:
- 4 Harvesters - Residual Sanity: 40 (20%)
- 1 Duelist and 2 Harvesters - Residual Sanity: 50 (25%)
- 2 Duelist and 1 Harvester - Residual Sanity: 20 (10%)
- The footsteps of the puppets make a faint warping sound.
- Despite being Shadow Creatures, passive animals will avoid puppets and neutral mobs will fight back against them. Puppets are also unable to help the player against Shadow Creatures.
- In Don't Starve Together, if Maxwell executes an emote, his puppets will stop whatever they are doing and will run over to Maxwell before proceeding to do the same emote.
- They will do the dance emote with both /dance and /step emote.
- In Don't Starve Together, the player is able to become constantly insane if they summon 1 Harvester and 2 Duelists.
- The description "Diggy diggy hole" is a reference to the song of the same name by the Youtube channel Yogscast.