The Sea Fishing Rod can be used to fish Ocean Fishes and to retrieve Ocean Debris. It has two inventory slots: one can contain a Float to improve the casting range and accuracy, and the other slot can contain a Lure to improve the attractiveness toward Ocean Fishes. The Sea Fishing Rod cannot be used to catch Freshwater Fish or Live Eel at a Pond.
It is simple to catch delicious Ocean Fishes using a Sea Fishing Rod once you know how to do it. If you're a beginner and want to learn how to catch small Ocean Fishes, follow the instructions below:
- First, put a Lure on your Sea Fishing Rod such as a Berry or a Seed. This will be your bait.
- Next, optionally put a Float on your Sea Fishing Rod, such as a Twig, to help with your casting range and accuracy.
- Journey along the coastline of the mainland until you find some dark shadows of Ocean Fishes swimming in the water. This will be a spawn point for a variety of small Ocean Fishes.
- Cast your line into the water near where the shadows of the fish are. Now, here comes the tricky part. Pay attention to your Sea Fishing Rod. If it is angled low in the water or angled in the middle between low and high, keep reeling your rod in and the fish will come towards you. If the fishing rod is angled high and your character appears to be struggling to keep the fish from swimming away, stop reeling and wait until your rod lowers, then keep reeling in the fish. If you keep reeling when the Sea Fishing Rod is angled high, your line will snap, causing your Lure and Float to disappear. If you stop reeling when the Sea Fishing Rod is angled low, then the fish will get away.
- Voilà! The fish will pop up and land at your feet once you successfully catch it.
- The Sea Fishing Rod was introduced in the Hook, Line, and Inker update.