When certain animals are within 4 metre of Salt Lick, these animals will each lick every 60 second until it is depleted. Each Beefalo consumes 2 uses per lick and their domestication level loss is paused. Each Koalefant consumes 4 uses per lick. Each Grass Gator consumes 4 uses per lick. Each Volt Goat consumes 1 use per lick. Each No-Eyed Deer consumes 1 use per lick.
Salt Lick attracts the above animals within 20 metre. This can be used to bait the above animals when making a pen.
- Volt Goats, No-Eyed Deer, Koalefants, and Grass Gator cannot be domesticated nor will they gain domestication. Keeping them around a Salt Lick would only waste the uses of this structure with no benefits.
- The Beefalo can be "parked" close to a Salt Lick as they will stay in close proximity to it.
- The Salt Lick was first introduced to Don't Starve Together. It was later added to Don't Starve in the Quality of Life update.
- Salt Licks are considered to be part of A New Reign, even though they were introduced before the official start of the beta branch.
- Salt licks are real-life tools used particularly in zoos to give the ungulates all the minerals they normally obtain from mineral swamps.
- Wilson's quote is a reference to the classic Tootsie Pop slogan, "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"
- Contrary to its name, the Salt Lick is made with Nitre, not Salt Crystals. This may be to ensure that the Salt Lick is available for players to use before they have access to Salt Crystals, or because Salt Crystals were added to the game after the Salt Lick.