Purple Gems can be obtained by mining Ancient Statues, destroying Broken Clockworks, opening Ornate Chests, or as a drop from both variants of the Clockwork Bishop. Maxwell also starts out with a Purple Gem in his inventory.
Purple Gems are used to craft the Shadow Manipulator, Bat Bat, Telelocator Staff, and Nightmare Amulet. Three Purple Gems must be installed in a Telelocator Focus before it will function, and they will be consumed when the Telelocator Focus is used.
In the Shipwrecked DLC, fishing with a Trawl Net in Deep Ocean has a small chance to catch a Purple Gem. The chance is higher during Hurricane Season and Dry Season. X Marks the Spot treasure chests occasionally contain a Purple Gem. Additionally, the Slot Machine has a small chance to yield 3 Purple Gems as a possible reward. Purple Gems are used to craft the Howling Conch.
In the Hamlet DLC, there is a very low chance for Purple Gems to drop from Hammering A Smashing Pot. They can also be acquired from the End's Well. Purple Gems, unlike other gems, cannot be sold to Bankers.
A minimum of one Purple Gem is needed early in the game to craft the Shadow Manipulator. The first available source is usually the Dragonfly or Klaus fights, but here is a non-exhaustive list of other good sources:
- Combine Blue & Red Gems in the Refining tab to make Purple Gems. Blue & Red Gems are dropped by White & Blue Hounds respectively and a guaranteed one of each is dropped by Klaus's Gem Deer.
- The Dragonfly has a chance to drop Purple Gems upon death. He can also drop Blue & Red Gems.
- The Ruins are an abundant source. Purple Gems can be dropped when smashing Broken Clockworks, dropped by Damaged Clockwork Bishops, or found in Cave Holes. Killing the Ancient Fuelweaver resets the Ruins, restoring all of these sources.
- The Ancient Guardian's Large Ornate Chest can contain Purple Gems.
Purple Gems are required in large quantities to craft Moon Rock Idols, charge Telelocators, and power Winona's G.E.M.erator (though it is more efficient to use Blue or Red Gems for this purpose since they can be easily acquired on the surface, although killing the Ancient Fuelweaver and clearing the Ruins repeatedly tends to produce an excess of Purple Gems). They're also used for several other character-specific recipes and useful gear such as Nightmare Amulets. See below for a full list.
|Obtained by inserting the Gem into the Cratered Moonrock.|
- Thanks to periodic Hound waves, purple gems are renewable, even in the base game, as both Red Hounds and Blue Hounds drop Red and Blue Gems, respectively.
- The Purple Gem was added in A Little Rain Must Fall update.
- The Purple Gem's crafting description is a reference to Captain Planet.