Player Speed is a statistic in the game which defines the speed a playable Character can move. Most characters have a base movement speed of 6, but some have different movement speeds, and some items and environmental effects can affect the player's movement speed. The effect of items and attachments is calculated by applying a multiplier to base movement speed. If a character has perks or disadvantages that affect movement speed (e.g. Wolfgang's different forms, WX-78's SYSTEM OVERLOAD, or Wilbur's different locomotion methods), any external speed modifier will be applied to the current value.
The player's movement speed can be modified through the following console command (only works on Don't Starve and its DLCs, excluding Don't Starve Together), up to a maximum
value of 40 and 1 being the minimum:
In Don't Starve Together, the speed multiplier is product of all multiplier of equipped items, roads, characters and others.
One may change its character movement speed through this command:
Character Base Movement Speed
|Character (Ability)||Base Movement Speed|
| Wimpy form ()
|Bloom stage 1||6.36 (1.06x)|
|Beaver form||6.6 (1.1x)|
|Bloom stage 2||6.78 (1.13x)|
|6.3 up to 7.02 (1.05x up to 1.17x)|
|Bloom stage 3||7.2 (1.2x)|
| Mighty form ()
| Walking in marsh tiles
Character when activating Living Artifact ()
| Goose form
| SYSTEM OVERLOAD ()
|Ghost character form ()||3.6|
There are some items, objects and foods that when equipped, walked on or eaten, increase or decrease speed. Many of them are stackable and/or can negate each other.
The effect is calculated based on default character values.
|Thulecite Club||+10%||Hand Item||While equipped|
|Magiluminescence||+20%||Chest Item||8 min (1 day)|
|Lazy Explorer||+25%||Hand Item||While equipped|
|Walking Cane||+25%||Hand Item||While equipped|
|Sleek Hat||+25%||Hat Item||3 days|
And Stone Road Turf
|Ice Cube||-10%||Hat Item||8 days|
|Limestone Suit||-10%||Chest Item||While equipped|
|Piggyback||-20%* ( -10%**)||Chest Item||While equipped|
|Marble Suit||-30%||Chest Item||While equipped|
|Sticky Webbing||-40%||Object||Walking over|
|Antlion Sinkhole||-70%||Object||Walking over|
|Honey Trail||-60%||Object||Walking over|
|Roasted Coffee Beans||+5***||Food||30 seconds|
|Coffee||+5***||Food||4 minutes (1/2 day)|
|Tropical Bouillabaisse||+3****||Food||30 seconds|
|Purple Grouper||+2****||Food||30 seconds|
|Pierrot Fish||+1****||Food||30 seconds|
|Tar Trap||-65%||Object||Walking over|
|Ink Patch||-70%||Object||Sailing over|
|Quackering Ram||+???||Boat Attachment||One second after equipping it|
|Tea||+2.5***||Food||2 minutes (1/4 day)|
|Iced Tea||+1.6***||Food||80 seconds|
|Stalking Stick||+30%||Hand Item||3 days|
|Heavy Fog||-40% up to -60%||World Effect||3 minutes or until rain|
|Sandstorm||-60%||World Effect||Walking inside it|
|Tin Suit||-20%||Hat Item||While equipped|
|Fancy Helmet||-20%||Chest Item||While equipped|
*In the vanilla version of the game.
***Mutually exclusive benefits - If one is consumed, a previously eaten alternative will no longer give benefits.
There are a few mobs and entities that paralyze players completely, making it impossible to move until the effect is over.
|Blue Hound||Freeze||5 seconds or until attacked* or until death|
|Ewecus||Mucus spit attack||10 seconds or when freed by a befriended Pigmen or another player|
|Sealnado||Caught in tornado attack||5-10 seconds|
|Deerclops||Freeze||5 seconds or until attacked* or until death|
|Gaze from Pugalisk||"Freeze"||5 seconds or until attacked* or until death|
|Night Hands created by activating the Teleportato, Maxwell's Door or the Nightmare Throne||Caught||???|
|Screaming of the Moose/Goose and the Queen Womant**||Stopped||0.5 seconds|
|Bearger||Sleep||10+ seconds or until attacked|
*If the player has stun immunity when they are frozen, such as from wearing the Vortex Cloak or from the force field produced by the Thulecite Crown, the player will still be frozen after being attacked.
**The effects of the Queen Womant can be avoided using Rabbit Earmuffs.
|Cork Bowl Canoe||4||Yes|
|The Sea Legs||6||No|
Some boats have sail attachments. When equipped, these grant additional movement speed until equipment is up to use.
|Thatch Sail||+20%||2 days|
|Snakeskin Sail||+25%||4 days|
|Cloth Sail||+30%||3 days|
|Feather Lite Sail||+40%||2 days|
|Iron Wind||+50%||4 days|
|Trawl Net||starts at 0%, penalty increases by aprox -2.8% for each item caught, up to -25%||Full, or detached manually.|
There are other ways to modify speed but with variable duration periods. Some methods require certain criteria and can either slow down or speed up the character.
|Waves||Sailing through the same direction increase speed 5, 20 (Encrusted Boat), 25 (Surfboard)
Sailing against reduces movement speed
|Big Waves||Only for Walani in surfboard sail in same direction increase speed 35
Sailing against with another boat or sailing through the same direction with other characters reduces movement speed
|Strong Winds||Walking or sailing same direction increase 40% against reduces 40%|
|Sail Stick||While holding in hand while Strong Winds are blowing|
|Howling Conch||Will start Strong Winds lasting for about half a day|
|Windbreaker||Prevents the player from being slowed by the wind|
When the game calculates the player's movement speed, it starts with the base movement speed for the character and first adds any flat additions to movement speed (such as the +3 modifier from WX-78's SYSTEM OVERLOAD, or the +5 modifier from Coffee). It then sums any percentage-based modifiers to speed from items or other effects (such as the +25% modifier from a Walking Cane, the -10% modifier from Wolfgang's wimpy form or the -30% modifier from a Marble Suit) and multiplies the above total by the multiplier.
Wilson is running down a Road while wearing a Football Helmet and a Marble Suit. He's holding a Walking Cane, and has recently eaten Coffee. Using info from the tables above, movement speed is calculated as follows:
- Flat movement speed is 6 (From Wilson's base speed) + 5 (From the Coffee) = 11
- Speed multiplier is 1 (Default) + 0.25 (+25% from Walking Cane) + 0.3 (+30% from the road) - 0.3 (-30% from Marble Suit) = x1.25 or +25% (The Football Helmet has no effect on speed)
- Final Player Speed is 11 x 1.25 = 13.75, or 129% faster than without any modifiers
- Using console commands and setting the player's speed to very high, this can make them walk over NPCs and cause a game crash.
- If a piece of armor breaks while the player is moving, the player may continue to slide in the direction they were moving until the damage animation ends. This also occurs if the player would otherwise be immune to stuns.
- While WX-78 is in SYSTEM OVERLOAD on a Row Boat or Armored Boat, with an Iron Wind as a sail, wearing a Sleek Hat and a Magiluminescence, holding a Stalking Stick, eating Coffee, and eating Tropical Bouillabaisse, while sailing into Strong Winds, the player will have about 45 movement speed, which is the highest possible player speed that is able to be achieved without using console commands.
- Without Strong Winds, this combination of bonuses results in a player speed of 38.25.
- Additional speed can be gained by riding Waves and/or repeatedly equipping a Quackering Ram, although the burst nature of these speed boosts makes it difficult to ascertain exactly how much more of a bonus they provide.
- If traveling over land using a Road or Cobblestones rather than by sea, the relevant bonuses above will still give you a 41.65 movement speed, or 34.85 without Strong Winds.
- If Wolfgang is in his wimpy form, wearing a Marble Suit, while walking on a Sinkhole and inside a Sandstorm, this makes him the slowest character in the game, reaching a speed of 1.0368.
- Despite each character having their own base speed on land, when boarding a boat in Shipwrecked, the character's base movement speed will become that of the boat.
- Changing the movement speed with the console by entering
c_speed(value)to a value higher than 20, the player character can walk through the world's barriers and walk on water. Above 41, the game may crash.
- Walking on lava or over water in the Shipwrecked DLC by using console commands will instantly kill the player.