Exclusive to: Shipwrecked.
The Obsidian Spear is a craftable Weapon exclusive to the Shipwrecked DLC. It requires 1 Spear, 3 Obsidian, and 1 Dragoon Heart to craft. It can also be found as a reward from X Marks the Spot treasure chests. Like all items in the Volcanic Tab, it cannot be prototyped and the player must always be wearing a Brain of Thought or must be near an Obsidian Workbench to craft it again.
Initially, the Obsidian Spear deals the same damage as a Tentacle Spike per hit, but as the Obsidian Spear is used to attack, it will become charged causing it to deal up to 2x damage when fully charged. It takes approximately 30 hits to reach full charge. As the charge level increases, the Obsidian Spear will also produce more heat and light, which protects the players from Charlie, but can rapidly cause Overheating when unequipped. If dropped into water while sailing, the Obisidian Spear will lose all of its charge. It should be noted that it has a very high durability, 2.5x that of the regular Spear.
- The bonus damage from charging the Obsidian Spear (or Obsidian tools in general) is not affected by character damage modifiers. For example, Wolfgang in max Mighty Form with a fully charged Obsidian Spear deals 153 damage instead of 204.
- The Obsidian Spear, along with the Obsidian Axe and Obsidian Machete, will still gain charges when used in Winter.
- As the weapon gains charges, the heat and light that it provides makes it an effective weapon to use during the long and cold winter nights. However, since it requires an attackable target to be charged, it may be preferable to carry around an Obsidian Axe and cut down Trees instead.
- The weapon can be charged safely by attacking passive Creatures that can regenerate health such as Chester or Packim Baggims. However, the high damage of the weapon combined with the relatively low health and slow regeneration of the companions makes this process impractical. However, a more practical method is attacking a Lureplant and replanting the Fleshy Bulb when it dies, this way the weapons can be charged with little to no risk.
- This weapon can be used to fight mobs that cannot be ignited, such as Dragonflies, Frogs, and Depths Worms, and is very powerful against them when charged since it is the highest damage-dealing melee weapon in the game.
- A charged Obsidian Spear placed inside Chester, Packim Baggims, or Ro Bin will cause the follower to glow until the charge fades.