The Night Light (not to be confused with Maxwell's Light) is a Magic Structure in Don't Starve. It requires a Prestihatitator to prototype and costs 8 Gold Nuggets, 2 Nightmare Fuel, and 1 Red Gem to craft.
The Night Light provides light, similar to a Campfire, and can only be fueled using Nightmare Fuel. One Nightmare Fuel provides light for 175 seconds. The Night Light's maximum light output requires 3 Nightmare Fuel.
It does not provide warmth, so it will not prevent Freezing. Once placed, the Night Light cannot be moved (only destroyed/deconstructed).
Standing next to an active Night Light lowers the player's Sanity by 3 per minute (except for Willow, who gains up to +7/min). Being near the Night Light at dusk or night increases the total Sanity drain to 8 points per minute. The Sanity drain can be avoided by standing some distance away.
Reign of Giants Edit
In the Reign of Giants DLC, when a Night Light begins to smolder, it will not burst into flames, but instead, lights up as if it were fueled. Also, Night Lights can be extinguished by an Ice Flingomatic, Luxury Fan, or Ice.
The Fire Staff can also be used as a way to fuel Night Lights, one fire staff's shot fuels it for 175 second, the same amount of 1 nightmare fuel.
It does not cause Overheating.
- The Night Light was added in the Insanity! update.
- The Night Light's ghastly flames can still be affected by Night Hands.
- The gem on the Night Light has five corners, however, the red gem only has four.
- The Night Light used to share its model with Maxwell's Light in the older versions of Don't Starve.
- Turning on a Night Light with a firestaff lights it up permanently on it's first light state (similar when just one nighmare fuel is used), and the character is just able to examinate it, unable to interact with it beyond that (like fuel it more with nightmare fuel or more firestaff shoots, or extinghuish it with an Ice Staff or ice) this can be fixed by exit and re-entering the game.
The steady crackle of the Night Light.