The Night Armor is a wearable Magic Armor, often paired up with a Dark Sword. It requires 5 Nightmare Fuel and 3 Papyrus to craft and a Shadow Manipulator to prototype. It is one of Maxwell's starting items in the single player game.
It has 750 durability and absorbs 95% of physical damage. The Night Armor drains Sanity by 10/min while worn and decreases Sanity by 10% of total damage taken (not only absorbed by the armor). Not considering its durability, the night armor effectively adds 2850 hp to the average survivor.
Example: If a player wearing Night Armor is hit by a Spider Queen (damage 80), then
- 80 × 0.95 = 76 damage is taken by Night Armor.
- 80 − 76 = 4 damage is taken by the player's .
- The player's will be decreased by 80 × 0.1 = 8.
- It is useful to also equip a head-slot item with a sanity boost such as the Tam o' Shanter, helping to offset the sanity drain while still having very high physical protection.
- The Night Armor was added in the Insanity! update.
- When paired with the Shelmet or the Thulecite Crown, the player is able to absorb 99.5% of incoming damage (doesn't apply to DST), enough to survive a Gunpowder explosion and take just 1 point of damage to Health and 20 to Sanity.
- Wickerbottom states the armor transfers the damage into another dimension.
- The Night Armor makes a "warping" noise when the player moves while wearing it.