The Lantern is a light source that can be either equipped or placed on the ground to provide light. It requires 2 Light Bulbs, 3 Twigs, and 2 Ropes and requires an Alchemy Engine to be prototyped. It is ideal for Spelunking because it has a larger light radius than any other mobile light source. Once crafted it lasts 8 minutes before it must be refueled with either Light Bulbs, Fireflies or Slurtle Slimes. Fireflies will refuel it for 39% which will last for 180 seconds Light Bulbs for 19% which will last for 90 Seconds, while Slurtle Slimes for 9.5% which will last for 45 Seconds. Like a Fire Pit, when fuel is low, the light radius gradually becomes smaller.
- The Lantern was added in the Caves update.
- This is one of the two portable light sources that are also refuelable. The other being the Miner Hat.
- This is the only light source that generates light both when dropped on the ground (like a pumpkin lantern) and held (like a torch), making it useful as both a static and mobile light source. This means that if you need to free your hands (e.g. to hold a weapon), you can drop the lantern and the light won't go out, which is especially handy in the caves.
- This is the only light source that can be manually turned off or on when placed on the ground.
- The lantern also can be used as a weapon, though not dealing any additional damage.
- Despite the lantern appearing to be made of Logs, it is crafted using twigs.