–Wickerbottom, When Klaus enters his second phase.
Klaus is a Boss Monster exclusive to Don't Starve Together, introduced in A New Reign. He resembles a larger version of Krampus. He spawns after a player puts a Deer Antler in a Loot Stash, which will return Bone Shards due to it being an incorrect key. He spawns with one red and one blue Gem Deer. Killing the deer, or separating them from him by 30 units, will enrage him, increasing his damage, health by x2.744, takes 64% less incoming damage, and increases his size. He is also able to spawn 2-6 Krampii during the fight. Using the Telelocator Staff on him is not a viable way of isolating him from his Deer, as he will get enraged when separated from them even if they are still alive.
After killing him, he will be revived, losing the chains around his body, allowing a large mouth from his stomach to gain a new long-ranged "chomp" attack.
Once he's killed again, he will drop Charcoal, a Monster Meat, and a Stag Antler which is the proper key to use on the Loot Stash. Opening the Loot Stash will yield 4 Bundled Supplies. If the Gem Deer are still alive when he's killed, they will turn into normal No-Eyed Deer, dropping their corresponding gem. It is worth noting that during Winter's Feast, Klaus is present year around, and no longer provides bundled supplies, instead 6 gift boxes.
Hunting[edit | edit source]
Klaus can be kited, a process by which the player attacks, moves away to avoid an attack, then attacks again. It is possible to strike Klaus three times in-between attacks. Any error in the player's movement can lead to heavy damage since he strikes twice.
In his second phase, Klaus gains a lunge attack. However, his attacks remain mostly predictable. He usually attacks with a lunge and a subsequent regular attack. Players can still strike three times without getting hit, but only after his two attacks. His lunge attack can be avoided by staying in close quarters as he's about to attack.
Should Klaus use his Gem Deer, players in the area must drop their current actions and immediately flee. Leaving oneself exposed to the Gem Deer's attacks will leave heavy wounds, or be exposed to freezing or burning.
In the rare event that one of his Gem Deer accidentally dies and Klaus turns enraged, fighting him becomes significantly harder. In almost every situation, the player should flee entirely and restart the fight.
Klaus can be cheesed using ranged weapons by placing a Lureplant next to the Loot Stash and luring him in between the two, making him stuck and unable to attack. However, this is very resource-heavy and time-consuming, making it an inefficient method unless you use Walter's Trusty Slingshot.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Klaus was introduced in the Winter's Feast update, alongside the Event of the same name.
- During the Winter's Feast event Klaus has a slightly different appearance. His horns turn white with red stripes, and his chains are golden.
- The name Klaus is a short form of Nikolaus, referring to Saint Nicholas, the historical origin of Santa Claus.
- Even though he is blind due to his eyes sewn together into a single large "X" shape, it is possible that Klaus has a keen sense of smell to track down the player. This is supported by Klaus occasionally attempting to "Sniff out" the player. This is also confirmed by Wickerbottom's examination quote.
- Klaus is the first boss to have two different boss battle themes, the second being the Ancient Fuelweaver. Its second theme plays when Woven Shadows are being summoned.
- When put to sleep, Klaus covers his eyes for some reason.
- Klaus seems to be wearing the old version of the Life Giving Amulet, as evidenced by its octagonal shape.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Sounds[edit | edit source]
|Klaus's battle theme during the first stage of the fight.|
|Klaus's battle theme during the second stage of the fight.|