Hunger is one of the primary game concepts, as it is the measurement which determines whether or not the character is starving (which is, of course, the game's namesake). As a character gets hungrier, the meter will empty, and the stomach pictured will shrivel.
A full stomach for most characters is measured at 150, except for:
- Wolfgang (300)
- WX-78 (100-200) (150-200 )
- Wes (113)
- Wagstaff (225)
- Wigfrid (120)
- Webber (175)
- Walani (200)
- Warly (250)
- Wilbur (175)
- Wilba (200)
- Wortox (175)
- Wurt (200-250)
- Walter (110)
Hunger drains at 9.375 points per minute or 75 points per game day, except for:
- Walani , drain hunger 10% faster (10.3125 or 82.5)
- Warly , drain hunger 20% faster (11.25 or 90)
- Wes, drain hunger 25% faster (12.46875 or 93.75)
- Warly , drain hunger 33% faster (11.25 or 99.75)
- Wormwood , drain hunger 0%, 33%, 66%, 100% faster (9.375, 11.25, 15.5625, 18.75 or 75, 99.75, 124.6, 150)
- Wolfgang, drain hunger from 0 to 200% faster (from 9.375 to 28.125 or from 75 to 225)
- Wilba in her Werepig form , drain hunger 400% faster (46.875 or 375)
Hunger drain can also be slowed or accelerated:
- To 60% normal rate by equipping a Belt of Hunger
- To 75% normal rate by wearing the Hibearnation Vest
- To 80% normal rate by poisoning
- To 75% normal rate by equipping Funcap
- If a Slurper jumps onto the player it will start draining hunger quickly and keep doing so until it is detached from the head slot.
- Walter loses only half the normal Hunger when Sleeping.
Winona will drain 5 hunger when she speed-crafts something.
When the Hunger meter is emptied, Health will begin to drain at 1.25 points per second until something is eaten or the character dies. Most food will restore the Hunger meter when eaten. The amount restored depends on the food eaten; cooked food typically restores more than raw food. Some food also has the potential to decrease Hunger, Sanity, or Health. Also, when going to sleep in a Straw Roll, Fur Roll, Tent, or a Siesta Lean-to, the character takes an immediate Hunger penalty.
Below you can find a quick reference table for how long a character can survive on a full belly before hunger goes down to 0:
|Character||Full Belly last for (s)||Days|
|Wurt (King of the Merms alive)||1600||3.33|
|WX-78 (fully upgraded), Wilba, Wurt||1280||2.67|
|Webber, Wilbur, Wortox||1120||2.33|
|Wilson, Willow, Wendy, Wickerbottom,
Woodie, Maxwell, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Winona
|Wormwood||960, 720, 576, 480||2.0, 1.5, 1.2, 1|
|Wilba in her Werepig form||255||0.53|