Enlightenment replaces Sanity on the Lunar Island, and they share the same value. Enlightenment swaps Sanity's brain HUD icon with a bloodshot eyeball instead. All effects increasing Sanity will increase Enlightenment on Lunar Island, reducing Sanity effect will reduce Enlightenment.
Enlightenment will increase by 0.625/minute during the Day. There is no more drain during Dusk and Night. Being in total Darkness will drain Enlightenment by -10/minute.
High Enlightenment is associated with effects similar to low Sanity such as the environment becoming distorted and creatures called Gestalts becoming visible in a similar manner to Shadow Creatures. Low Enlightenment produces results similar to high Sanity in which the Gestalts disappear and the environment returns to a normal state. Therefore, the player cannot be completely sane in one world without being insane in the other.
- Blue veil starts to appear and ambient sound progress slowly with Enlightenment.
- Pulsations in the center of the screen will begin to be visible.
- Gestalts appear, but cannot attack yet.
- When inactive the player regularly shakes their head between their hands.
- Gestalts become aggressive toward the player(s).
- The player looks dizzy when inactive.
- Enlightenment was introduced in the Turn of Tides update.