Enlightenment will also increase by 0.625/minute during the Day, and stops during Dusk and Night. Being in total Darkness will drain Enlightenment by -10/minute.
High Enlightenment is accompanied with effects similar to low Sanity. The environment will begin to become distorted and creatures called Gestalts become visible in a similar manner to Shadow Creatures. Low Enlightenment produces results similar to high Sanity in which the Gestalts disappear and the environment returns to a normal state. Therefore, the player cannot be completely sane in one world without being insane in the other.
- Blue veil and ambient sounds appear slowly with Enlightenment.
- Pulsations in the center of the screen will begin to be visible.
- Gestalts appear, but cannot attack yet.
- When inactive the player regularly shakes their head between their hands.
- Gestalts become aggressive toward the player(s).
- The player looks dizzy or awestruck when left idle.
- Enlightenment was introduced in the Turn of Tides update.