Don't Starve Together is the sequel to Don't Starve, and features the requested multiplayer mechanics. It was originally scheduled to come out in Summer 2014, though a specific date was not given. However, sign-ups for a limited-access, closed Beta were released. It came out on Mac and Linux after being finalized on Windows.
Starting December 15, 2014, Don't Starve Together Beta was in Steam Early Access, and on June 3, 2015, Don't Starve Together Early Access was released for free to owners of Don't Starve on Steam. It left early access and was fully released on April 21, 2016. Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together can be bought individually or as a bundle.
For detailed information on Don't Starve Together's update history, see Version History.
Don't Starve Together has multiple ways to play with others: LAN, network, and matchmaking play. Many items have been balanced or removed in order to keep the game fair. Game mode and PvP are optional by the server operator. There are also 4 categories for servers: Social, Cooperative, Competitive, and Madness. These categories don't affect gameplay but provide a general idea of what the server is about. Dedicated, player-hosted and LAN servers are available, and chat is global or local depending on the server admin's preference. A type of server called "Friends Only" allows a server to be created whereby the only people who can join have to be on the hosting player's Steam friends list. Many console commands have changed or been removed for DST.
There are three game modes: Survival, Wilderness, and Endless.
- Survival is the default mode. It is intended to be a cooperative, more difficult mode, in which dead players become Ghost Characters (see below). When all players are dead, a 120-second timer starts, and if no players are revived in that time, the world resets.
- Wilderness mode spawns players in random locations across the map. Players who die are returned to the character select screen, allowing them to respawn in a new random location as a new character with their map progress wiped. No resurrection items exist, including touchstones (although their set pieces with pig heads will still be generated). The world never resets.
- Endless mode is intended to be a more relaxed mode that doesn't force players to cooperate. It is similar to the Survival mode, except that the world never resets, and that Ghost players may additionally resurrect themselves at the spawn portal when they die, as many times as they wish.
Main article: Ghost Characters
Ghost Players are a new feature that introduces the ability to live after death, although in a downgraded state. Whenever a player dies, a skeleton spawns at their death point. Their inventory is dropped, and they become a ghost. Upon death, WX-78 also loses their upgrades. Ghosts can Haunt items and structures, possibly setting objects on fire, or affecting them in some other way.
In Survival and Endless Mode, a ghost can be resurrected using a Touch Stone, Meat Effigy, Life Giving Amulet, or the Telltale Heart. In Endless mode, Players may also resurrect through the Florid Postern or Celestial Portal. When the ghost re-spawns, their inventory will be empty and their hunger and sanity are set to the same as resurrection in the base game. Revival is impossible in the Wilderness Mode.
Being resurrected with the Telltale Heart or with the Florid Postern Portal also incurs a maximum health penalty on the player. Each resurrection adds 25% to the penalty, which caps out at 75% (leaving the player with 25% of their maximum health). The health lost to this penalty can be restored by 25% using a Booster Shot.
Don't Starve Together includes almost all content of the base game and the Reign of Giants DLC. Some features from the Shipwrecked and Hamlet DLCs were also introduced over time. Additionally, several new entities were added to re-balance characters, giants, and seasonal mechanics for the multiplayer aspect of the game:
- 3 Seasons
- Glommer's Statue
- Hollow Stump
- Mini Glacier
- Moleworm Burrow
- Moose/Goose Egg
- Bat Cave
- Blooming Mushtree
- Florid Postern
- Alternate variants of natural resources (Juicy Berry Bushes, Grass Gekkos, and Twiggy Trees)
- Battle Helm
- Battle Spear
- Siesta Lean-to
- Luxury Fan
- Insulated Pack
- Endothermic Fire and Fire Pit
- Ice Flingomatic
- Morning Star
- Weather Pain
- Scaled Chest
- Fashion Melon
- Ice Cube
- Cat Cap
- Rain Hat
- Rain Coat
- Floral Shirt
- Summer Frest
- Hibearnation Vest
- Cat Tail
- Glommer's Flower
- Glommer's Wings
- Glommer's Goop
- Volt Goat Horn
- Down Feather
- Thick Fur
- Booster Shot
- Bramble Husk
- Bramble Trap
- Celestial Orb
- Celestial Portal
- Chef Pouch
- Chili Flakes
- Compost Wrap
- Directional Sign
- Fur Tuft
- Garlic Powder
- Ghostly Elixirs
- Honey Crystals
- Kitschy Idols
- Lavae Egg
- Lavae Tooth
- Moon Rock Idol
- Mourning Glory
- Mushroom Spore
- Portable Crock Pot
- Portable Grinding Mill
- Portable Seasoning Station
- Portal Paraphernalia
- Scaled Flooring
- Telltale Heart
- Trusty Tape
- Water Balloon
- Whirly Fan
- Winona's Catapult
- Winona's Generator
- Winona's G.E.M.erator
- Winona's Spotlight
- Weaponized Warble
- Heartrending Ballad
- Clear Minded Cadenza
- Bel Canto of Courage
- Fireproof Falsetto
- Rude Interlude
- Startling Soliloquy
- Tree Jam
- New Trinkets
- Crock Pot Recipes
- Ice Cream
- Spicy Chili
- Flower Salad
- Trail Mix
- Asparagus Soup
- Banana Pop
- Bone Bouillon
- Creamy Potato Purée
- Fancy Spiralled Tubers
- Fish Cordon Bleu
- Fresh Fruit Crepes
- Glow Berry Mousse
- Grim Galette
- Hot Dragon Chili Salad
- Monster Tartare
- Puffed Potato Soufflé
- Salsa Fresca
- Stuffed Pepper Poppers
- Vegetable Stinger
- Volt Goat Chaud-Froid
- Fig-Stuffed Trunk
- Figgy Frogwich
- Tweaks/Changes to existing content
- Captured small animals (Rabbits, Birds etc.) now starve to death if not fed.
- Deerclops can now freeze opponents and has a smaller attack range.
- Ghosts' attacks no longer ignore armor.
- Many existing equippable items now offer differing amounts of water resistance.
- Many existing items and structures are now flammable.
- Both the Piggyback and Krampus Sack are waterproof (items inside don't become wet) and the Piggyback slows the player down less.
- The Umbrella and the Straw Hat now lose durability when equipped.
- The Thermal Stone and Ham Bat can now be cooled in an Ice Box or Snow Chester.
- Lightning can now hit and damage the player.
- Food ready to be harvested on Crock Pots and Drying Racks will start to spoil and some existing meals give warmth, or cool the player down when consumed.
- During Spring, flowers will spawn on their own, Bees will become aggressive, and Beefalo will be constantly in heat.
- Many items and structures have new recipes and crafting tiers.
- Bones can now be hammered for Bone Shards.
- When the player dies, a Skeleton will be left at that location with the player's items.
- Weather effects now happen in Caves and Ruins too.
- Many items considered non-renewable can be made renewable with Tumbleweeds. This includes Thulecite (requires Thulecite to begin with), Gems, Gears, and Graveyard Trinkets.
- Trees now offer protection from overheating and rain.
- Striking a Mob with a Torch or Lighter may set it on fire.
- Beehives, Killer Bee Hives, Spider Dens, and Slurtle Mounds can be lit on fire directly using a Torch, Lighter, or Fire Staff.
- Fertilizers and Ice Staves can be used to extinguish fires directly.
- Feathers can now be used as fuel.
- Glow Berries and Deerclops Eyeballs are now stackable.
- The Ham Bat now does less damage as it spoils.
- Silks become tradable.
A New Reign
Main article: A New Reign
A free DLC originally called Through the Ages was announced for Spring 2015, and contains new content specifically made for multiplayer, such as mounting Beefalo using saddles. However, due to complications with implementing Cave biomes, Klei pushed back the release date. After the Caves made their way into DST and the game went out of Early Access, the DLC was once again announced, now under the name A New Reign, and was distributed through an ongoing series of updates. Some of the features that are officially part of the DLC were incorporated into the game via update on December 23, 2015, much earlier than the Beta Launch of the DLC, August 11, 2016.
Return of Them
Main article: Return of Them
Return of Them is an expansion to Don't Starve Together, styled similarly to A New Reign. It adds many new features including sailable waters, a new Lunar Island area with new biomes, new mobs, craftable items, and more. Its beta branch was both announced and launched on May 16, 2019.
Don't Starve Together features Caves and Ruins, which must be toggled on via a tab in the Server Creation menu. The Caves and Ruins now share the same map level, since each map level requires a separate server.
Thermal Stones now have durability, intended to represent cracks formed as a result of heating and cooling. Armor has less durability (by 30%) and can no longer be multiplicatively stacked as before; the game now uses the better armor's absorption and then divides the damage absorbed between the two worn armors weighted by their absorption. The Pan Flute now has the ability to knock other players besides the user unconscious for a short time, if PVP is enabled.
Due to Gears being a less available resource, WX-78 now starts with 150 health, sanity, and hunger, but each set of gears provide less of an upgrade (still bringing it to [] overall after 15 upgrades).
Maxwell now comes only with his Codex Umbra and 6 Nightmare Fuel. His Sanity boost has been reduced from 20/min to 6.67/min. The Shadow Tab was added, in which one can craft the Codex and different types of puppets. Puppets cost 2 Nightmare Fuel, a tool matching their action, and 20% (worker) or 35% (duelist) of Maxwell's maximum sanity.
Many mobs have had their health increased:
|DST Health Rebalances|
|Enemy||DS health||DST health|
Sleeping has been significantly changed. Normally, when going to sleep, the day would fast-forward to sunrise and replenish health and sanity at the cost of hunger upon waking up. However, when on a server, sleeping will not fast forward to sunrise but will instead leave the player unable to move and unaffected by the night monster. This will replenish health and sanity while draining hunger faster than normal over time; the rate at which will be dependent on what type of structure or item was used to sleep. When using a normal sleeping item, the player can wake themselves up by trying to move. If the player was put to sleep (pan flute, cooking a mandrake, etc.), they will reawaken after a small amount of time. The player will always wake up if hunger reaches 0.
Pausing the server
Server admins and local hosts can pause or un-pause the game via pause hotkey (P by default). There are also two auto pause option that can be toggled on and off that allowing auto pausing when players opening the menu (Esc by default), map or console window.
The console command
can stop the time in the server, and will pause the game to all players. However, the game behavior after that command may be unexpected, and trying the un-pause command
may cause the server to hang completely, forcing to close the game.
Main article: Food#Favorite Food
The Map has been modified to include a fog of war, preventing players to see changes to remote locations in the map. Each player's explored areas are tracked separately, however players can share their exploration with others using Map Scrolls.
Players communicate and express themselves through two chat modes: global chat (accessed via "Y" key by default) and local "whisper" chat (accessed via "U" key by default). Global chat is seen by all players, whether they are up on the Surface world or down inside Caves. Whispered messages, on the other hand, can only be seen by players who are in the vicinity of the speaker. Whispered chat looks the same as global chat, but the word "Whisper" is displayed before it.
Main article: Emotes
Emotes are used by entering their respective commands in chat, such as /happy, /angry, /no, /bonesaw, /dance, /facepalm, /joy, /kiss, /pose, /rude, /cry, /wave, /sit, and /squat. Each emote will trigger an animation by the player's character.
There are also unlockable emotes that are Event exclusive or can only be unlocked by completing Skin ensembles.
Attacking players, giving players items, and reviving ghosts is tracked by the game and can impact what other characters say about said player when inspecting them. For example, if Willow were to inspect a harmless Wilson she would say, "Hi (playername)!". But had he been attacking someone, she would say, "Why, (playername)... that fire in your eyes!" Or if a player has been reviving other players, she will say "(playername) won't leave anyone behind.".
Main article: Curio Cabinet
Curios are collectable items exclusive to Don't Starve Together that can be used to customize the appearance of players' Characters, profiles, chat messages and loading screens. There are seven different types of Curios which exist of various rarities: Skins, Belongings, Emotes, Emoticons, Portrait Frames, Profile Icons and Vignettes. Their purpose is to provide a stronger sense of individuality to players.
Curios are obtainable through randomly timed drops while playing the game, and when opening the game daily. Players can earn up to 15 Curios per week. The weekly reset occurs around 1pm PST every Thursday, right before Klei Entertainment's weekly Rhymes with Play Twitch broadcast. Some Curios are excluded from these drops and are only obtainable through special means. They can also be bought from Klei Entertainment directly by purchasing specific Curio Chests.
The Trade Inn interface can be used to exchange nine unwanted Skins or Belongings to an item of a higher rarity tier. Unwanted Curios can also be unraveled into Spools which can then be weaved into other items.
For Skins specifically, there are five different categories (Head Skins, Body Skins, Hands Skins, Legs Skins and Feet Skins) which can be combined freely to change the player character's appearance. Players can choose what Skins their character will wear in the Character Select screen and ingame by using a Wardrobe. Skins are entirely cosmetic only and do not have a function ingame, all of them are non-gender-specific.
Main article: Mods
Don't Starve Together supports mods, yet many of them that rewrite core Don't Starve code had to be updated to the new formats. In DST, there are three kinds of mods:
- client-only, which are enabled by each player individually and used on any server. These usually make changes to the interface.
- server-only, which must be enabled on the server, but no joining players need to download. These usually make small changes to game mechanics, such as changing the timing of things, or scaling creature stats.
- all-clients, which all players on a server need to have. The Steam Workshop automatically handles downloading and enabling these for players when they join a server with an all-clients mod enabled. These mods can change almost anything about the game.
The Xbox One version of Don't Starve Together has 36 achievements.
Main article: Cyclum Puzzles
With the official release of the game, a new comic was released in which one must complete a series of puzzles to keep following along. The story takes place right after the ending of the adventure mode, when Wilson frees Maxwell from the throne. It is revealed that Charlie saved Wilson from the throne and sent him back to the Wilderness, taking the throne for herself and thus becoming the main antagonist of Don't Starve Together.
- The way Wilson creates the multiplayer portal (shown below) is similar to how he created Maxwell's Door, both of which bring people into the Constant. Silhouettes of Wendy, Wes, and Wolfgang can be seen in the portal.
- Winona is the first playable character exclusive to Don't Starve Together.
- The main menu changes depending on in-game events and updates.
- Forums Update: Don't Starve Together - Multiplayer Alpha Officially Coming Summer 2014 Posted on May 6, 2014.
- Forums Update: Don't Starve Together Roadmap Posted on November 25, 2014.
- Forums Update: A New Reign begins! Posted on August 8, 2016.
- Upcoming Content Beta and Roadmap Update Posted on May 16, 2019.