The Coconade is a Weapon exclusive to the Shipwrecked DLC. It requires 1 Coconut, 1 Gunpowder and 1 Rope to craft and a Science Machine to prototype. A Coconade can be used as a ranged explosive weapon or it can be used as a placed explosive like Gunpowder. Coconades are possible rewards from X Marks the Spot treasure chests, and can also be found in Steamer Trunks.
Note that since mobs killed by either type of Coconade will considered to have been on fire when they died, any flammable items they drop will turn into Ashes.
The Obsidian Coconade is a stronger and more expensive version of the Coconade, and requires 3 Coconades, 3 Obsidian, and a Dragoon Heart to craft. They may also be found in X Marks the Spot Treasure Chests. Like all items in the Volcanic Tab, it cannot be prototyped and the player must always be wearing a Brain of Thought or must be near an Obsidian Workbench to craft it again.
When it explodes, an Obsidian Coconade deals 340 damage and destroy structures within a 9 unit radius (2.25 Pitchfork tiles).
To use a Coconade or Obsidian Coconade, the player must first light it either by right-clicking a Torch on the Coconade in their Inventory, or by placing it on the ground then lighting it. The lit Coconade in the inventory can be thrown by first equipping it, then right-clicking the target. If the player does not throw a Coconade that was lit in the inventory after 5 seconds, it will explode, dealing its usual 250 or 340 damage to the player. 1
In the Hamlet DLC, regular Coconades can be bought for 20 Oincs at The Boar's Tusk Weapon Shop in the Pig City. Coconades can be used to destroy Suspicious Cracks in the Ancient Pig Ruins, and are capable of instantly killing the Pugalisk boss if aimed well.
- Effects of worn Armor apply to a Coconade exploding inside the inventory meaning it can be used as a last resort if the player is being overwhelmed by hostile mobs.
- Coconades can one-shot the Pugalisk with the correct placement.
- When used in conjunction with a Pan Flute, a single Coconade can wipe out an entire wave of Crocodogs. This is especially useful when sailing in a damaged boat far from land or friendly Ballphins (often when exiting the Volcano after days inside).
- Coconades are much more effective when lit in the inventory then thrown due to the ability to target the explosion. Lighting up for explosion placed on ground, multiple Gunpowder will do more damage.
- Inexperienced players should take great care while using the Obsidian Coconade, as the explosion radius may take many players by surprise, and kill or hurt them if they are not out of range.
- Using a Deconstruction Staff on a single Obsidian Coconade yields 2 Coconades, 2 Obsidian, and 1 Dragoon Heart. This can be done to farm hearts (in the same manner that Scaled Flooring can be used to farm scales).
- If the player is on a boat when the game is loaded from a save, Coconades that were in their inventory can become bugged and cannot be lit. Dropping them on land and picking them back up will restore normal function.