Chester will first spawn after the Eye Bone is placed in the player's inventory. He will then follow the Eye Bone from that point on. As long as the Eye Bone is in the player's possession, Chester will follow the player. If the Eye Bone is dropped on the ground or stored somewhere (even inside Chester himself), he will stop following the player and remain with the Eye Bone.
Chester regenerates Health at a rate of 22.5 HP every 3 seconds. When killed, he drops all of the items stored inside, and the Eye Bone will close its eye. If he dies while burning, any flammable items that he was carrying will be set on fire and burnt to Ashes. Chester will respawn in one game day, wherever the Eye Bone happens to be.
Chester can transform under the magic of a Full Moon when filled with specific magic items in his 9 inventory slots. Filling all of Chester's inventory slots with at least one unit of Nightmare Fuel will create Shadow Chester, who has 3 more inventory slots bringing his inventory space to 12. Shadow Chester causes food inside him to spoil 1.5 faster, the same rate as if it were left on the ground.
Filling Chester instead with Blue Gems will turn him into Snow Chester. Snow Chester's ability causes food to last twice as long inside him, turning Chester effectively into fuzzy and portable Ice Box. If Chester dies, he loses his transformation and returns as normal.
In the Reign of Giants DLC, Snow Chester does not prevent Ice and Ice Cubes from melting, despite acting as a mobile Ice Box. He cools Thermal Stones at half the speed of an Ice Box. Spiders befriended by Webber will not attack Chester.
Ice Chester will prevent Ice from melting and cool Thermal Stones at the same speed as an Ice Box.
- Stacks of Mosquitoes and Killer Bees inside Chester allow him to be turned into a walking bomb that will unleash pain upon death. It's a good idea to drop the Eye Bone if the player plans on doing this as they may end up too close to the carnage and suffer terrible consequences.
- Since Chester regenerates health at a fast rate, he can be a useful tool in restoring the player's health. If Chester is attacked with the Bat Bat, the player will regain health from the hit with no risk of being attacked but any followers will attack Chester.
- It may be a good idea to keep the Eye Bone in a Backpack so that when armor is equipped, Chester will remain near the Backpack while enemies are dealt with.
- Krampus can steal the Eye Bone if it is in a Backpack. If Krampus despawns with the Eye Bone, it will be gone permanently (for that World only).
- Chester can only transform into Shadow Chester or Snow Chester if the required materials to do so are placed inside the normal version of Chester. In other words, it is impossible for Shadow Chester to transform into Snow Chester (and vice versa).
- The Eye Bone can be dropped on the ground (to free an inventory slot), when not using Chester, without worry of losing it. There is nothing in the game that can affect an Eye Bone lying on the ground (Mobs won't steal it, it's fire-proof, etc.).
- In the Reign of Giants DLC, the best way to deal with Overheating is with two Thermal Stones and Snow Chester. The player can put the two Stones in Snow Chester until they reach their coldest point. Then they can keep one in their inventory to keep them cool and when it gets too hot they can swap that stone with the cold one that is inside Snow Chester. By the time the second stone warms up, the previous one will have cooled in Snow Chester, leaving a cold Thermal Stone always available for the player.
- If traveling with friends, placing multiple thermal stones inside Snow Chester for everyone to use is an efficient strategy as well.
- Chester's location is normally in a place with lots of ponds or in the swamp. Always be on the look out for brick roads as that potentially leads to Chester.
- The two Chester transformation has two different uses, Ice Chester is used to store Food and Thermal Stones on long journeys while Shadow Chester is to store extra Items that are looted.
- Chester was added in the Spoiled Rotten update.
- Chester's name is a pun on him being a mobile chest.
- Chester is one of the few Mobs that cannot be frozen.
- Krampus cannot steal from Chester. However, Chester can be killed, allowing Krampus to steal items that were stored in Chester.
- Chester cannot be healed using healing items.
- If Fireflies are stored inside of Chester, he will sometimes give off a tiny amount of light.
- If one were to light an item within Chester's inventory, he will hop around in panic and ignite nearby flammable objects while providing light.
- Shadow Chester was implemented after achieving $25,000 in total pledges during Klei's Chester Plush Kickstarter.
- Snow Chester was implemented after achieving $120,000 in total pledges during Klei's Chester Plush Kickstarter.
- Chester is possibly a reference to the Luggage from the Discworld series, which are suitcase-like creatures similar in appearance.
- According to Wilson, Chester is an Esq., which is short for esquire. In the United Kingdom, esquire was used to denote a member of nobility below the rank of a knight. In more recent times, it's simply used as an honorific. In modern North America, it is commonly used to denote a lawyer. It came from Old French and is literally translated as "shield-bearer".
- Before the All's Well That Maxwell update, it was possible to obtain two Chesters when traveling between levels.
- A three-dimensional Chester can be downloaded and interacted with in Snapchat.
- There is an unused Ballonicorn Chester stored in the game files. This version of Chester was supposed to be exclusive to the unused Pyro character.
- According to Wagstaff, Chester has nine stomachs - the exact number of item slots he has. This might mean that Chester consumes the items the player stores in him and regurgitates them for the player afterwards. This would also mean that Chester grows three extra stomachs when he turns into Shadow Chester.
- Chester sometimes may not transform to Snow or Shadow variants. Dropping the Eye Bone and then picking it up again may fix this issue.
- In the Shipwrecked DLC, it is possible to bring Chester to the world by clicking on the dropped Eye Bone while teleporting via the Seaworthy. However, doing this will spawn an entirely new Chester, which means that objects stored inside him will not transfer. The old Chester will remain in the original world, safe with all things inside him.
- Because of how the hunger mechanics work for captured critters (such as Moleworms, Rabbits, or Bees in the player's inventory) it is possible to place them inside Snow Chester in order to halve the depletion rate of their hunger meter. This means a Rabbit will starve after 4 days instead of 2 inside Snow Chester.
|Chester's bouncing sounds.|
- Klei Entertainment's Facebook post about Chester in Snapchat Posted on March 26, 2018.