A Chest is a storage Structure. It requires 3 Boards to build and a Science Machine to prototype. It has 9 storage slots. Items can be stored in a Chest by dragging them onto it or by opening the Chest to place them in specific slots. Chests help keep items better organized than by dropping them on the ground. Animals also cannot eat Food kept in Chests except for Splumonkeys, who can knock items out of them. Also, Krampus is able to break Chests in order to steal the items inside.
Backpacks, Piggybacks, and Krampus Sacks cannot be stored in Chests, even if the containers are empty. Although they can be used as an alternative storage space if for some reason the player is unable to craft a Chest.
- Spontaneous combustion (character and surrounding objects burst into flames).
- Summer or Winter suddenly occurs.
- All food in the player's inventory immediately Spoil.
In Reign of Giants, during Summer, Chests, as with many structures, can spontaneously combust. A smoking effect will appear, in which time the player must either extinguish the smouldering. Using one's hands causes damage. If this is not done in time, the object will combust and burn. The alternative way to solve this is by using a Scaled Chest.
As with the Backpacks, an Insulated Pack cannot be placed in a Chest.
- In the old research system, the research cost of a Chest was 100 research points.
- If a Chest is burned, the option to open it may appear, and if the player tries to open it the game will crash.