There is currently a combined total of twenty-two playable Characters in Don't Starve, its DLCs and Don't Starve Together (DST). Each Character has at least one character-specific perk, in addition to various bonuses and penalties to their stats, and usually are different in play style. Each Character is "voiced" by a different instrument, and speaks differently when examining items and objects. The only exception to this is Wes, the speechless mime, who uses pantomimes instead of sounds or quotes.
The first accessible Character is Wilson, considered the protagonist and the focus of the game's story. Most of the other Characters can be unlocked when sufficient Experience has been accrued, gained at Death or when escaping to a new world. There are currently six Characters that are not unlocked via experience, but through game feats. If the player has not unlocked a Character, it will appear as their respective silhouette. Upon selecting a silhouette, the Poster on the left will be a coffin shut with chains and a lock, and the description will simply say "The Unknown".
Don't Starve Together includes all Characters from the base game and Don't Starve: Reign of Giants DLC, but excluding Wagstaff, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, and Wheeler. The majority of Characters are unlocked from the start and several perks have been changed and balanced for the multiplayer aspect of the game. The first DST exclusive character was Winona who was added as a free update on September 13, 2017.
On January 22, 2019, free "character refreshes" for the DST roster as well as a total of 4 new paid DLC characters were announced to be released throughout 2019.
The character refreshes consist of revamped abilities for all current characters in DST, along with an animated short depicting part of their backstory. Each refresh update features a new purchasable skin set for the character. The following table lists the character refresh updates in order of their release:
|Winona||March 7, 2019|
|Willow||May 7, 2019|
|Warly||July 25, 2019|
|Woodie||September 12, 2019|
The DLC characters can be unlocked through direct purchase of either a regular chest for $6.99 USD (including the character and one skin set) or a Deluxe chest for $10.99 USD (including the character and 3 skin sets). They can also be woven with 2700 Spools. The following table lists the DLC characters in order of their release:
|Wortox||March 28, 2019|
|Wormwood||June 6, 2019|
|Wurt||October 24, 2019|
List of Characters
Below are the abilities and requirements to unlock each Character.
|Grows a magnificent beard.||Immune to Fire damage. Has a sweet Lighter. Lights fires when nervous.||Grows stronger with a full belly. Is afraid of monsters and the dark.|
|Is haunted by her twin sister. Feels comfortable in the dark. Doesn't hit very hard.||Not a picky eater. Is charged by lightning, but damaged by water. Can upgrade with gears.||Knows many things. Self-publishes books. Can't sleep, hates food spoilage.|
|Has a lovely axe. And a terrible secret. Is thankful for bountiful harvests.||Can't talk. Has trouble staying alive. Practices balloonomancy.||Is dapper, but frail. Can split his mind into pieces. On a first-name basis with the night.|
|A great inventor. Nearsighted. Delicate Stomach.||Excels in battle. Absorbs the power of fallen foes. Only eats meat.||Is a monster. Can befriend spiders. Grows a silky smooth beard.|
|Loves surfing. Dries off quickly. Is a pretty chill gal.||Has a refined palate. Cooks in custom kitchenware. Brings a stylish chef pouch.||Can't talk. Slow as biped, but fast as quadruped. Is a monkey.|
|Can sniff out treasure. Captain of the "Sea Legs". Pirate.||Is a pig. Carries her father's legacy. Is afraid of the dark.||Plants relate to him. Has a Green Thumb. Food fills his stomach, but not his heart.|
|Armed with an air horn. Has a knick knack for finding things. Travels lighter than most.||Is a skilled builder. Gets one free hit from the dark. Invents her own gadgets.||Is an imp. Can hop through time and space. Less nourished by physical food.|
|Willow||160 exp (8 days)||120||150||150|
|Wolfgang||320 exp (16 days)||200||150-300||300|
|Wendy||640 exp (32 days)||200||150||150|
|WX-78||960 exp (48 days)|| 100-300|
|Wickerbottom||1280 exp (64 days)||250||150||150|
|Woodie||1600 exp (80 days)||200||150||150|
|Wes||Find and rescue Locked Wes in Adventure Mode||150||113||113|
|Maxwell||Finish Adventure Mode||200||75||150|
|Wigfrid||1920 exp (96 days in a Reign of Giants save slot)||120||200||120|
|Webber||Find Webber's skull and bury it inside an opened Grave when playing in a Reign of Giants save slot||100||175||175|
|Walani||2240 exp (112 days in a Shipwrecked/Shipwrecked compatible save slot)||200||120||200|
|Warly|| 2560 exp (128 days in a Shipwrecked/Shipwrecked compatible save slot)|
|Wilbur||Find the Tarnished Crown and return it to Wilbur when playing in a Shipwrecked save||150||125||175|
|Woodlegs||Find Woodlegs' Cage in the Volcano and then unlock it with the Iron, Bone and Gold Keys while playing in a Shipwrecked save||120||150||150|
|Wilba||Acquire the Royal Crown by defeating Queen Womant, give it to the Pig Queen in the Palace in a Hamlet save||100||150||200|
|Wormwood||Always available |
Weave for 2700 Spools OR buy Wormwood Chest for $6.99 OR the Wormwood Deluxe Chest for $10.99 OR buy the Hamlet DLC for Don't Starve
|Wheeler||3200 exp (160 days in a Hamlet/Hamlet compatible save slot)||200||100||150|
|Wortox||Weave for 2700 Spools OR buy Wortox Chest for $6.99 OR the Wortox Deluxe Chest for $10.99||150||200||175|
|Wurt||Weave for 2700 Spools OR buy Wurt Chest for $6.99 OR the Wurt Deluxe Chest for $10.99 OR the Starter Pack upgrade to the Megapack Bundle for $6.99[Verification Needed]||150||200||175|
Main article: Maxwell (NPC)
Maxwell initially serves as the main antagonist of Don't Starve. He appears before the start of every game, saying, "Say pal, you don't look so good. You better find something to eat before night comes!" He disappears before the player assumes control of their character.
When the player chooses to play as Maxwell, non-player Maxwell will not appear. Maxwell will instead awaken and exclaim "Freedom, at last!"
Main article: Abigail
Abigail is Wendy's twin sister, and as Wendy's perk, she can be summoned with Abigail's Flower.
Main article: Unimplemented Characters
There are several additional characters for Don't Starve and and Don't Starve Together that have yet to be implemented. These other characters only exist in the form of portraits, sound, and other assets found in the game files.
The character Warbucks was the first character introduced in the Hamlet DLC, but was later removed from the game and replaced with Wormwood. However, the developers left his code in the game, allowing players to use him via console command.
Main article: Mods
On the PC version of Don't Starve, Characters created by users can be published on the Steam Workshop or the Klei Forums using the Don't Starve Mod Tools. Once downloaded, the character can be set up in its directory. When the player starts up the game, they can click the Mods button to enable the character. They will now be available for use after restarting.
- All playable characters' names start with W apart from Maxwell's. Within the game's code, Maxwell's name is written "Waxwell," in line with the other characters and not to confuse playable Maxwell with NPC Maxwell. The trailer puzzles confirmed that Maxwell's real name is William Carter.
- Having all characters' names start with W was unintentional at first, but Klei decided to go with it.
- Wolfgang was previously unlocked after Wendy.
- All characters are ambidextrous thanks to their sprite work.
- Before the Shipwrecked characters were released, they each had a locked character portrait, the title of "The Unfinished", the motto quote of "Don't look at me. I'm not ready yet.", and the perk of "Hasn't arrived on the island yet".
- Upon his release, Wortox's speech file contained examination quotes for a character labeled
- Generic- "Hyuyu, what are you up to %s?"
- Attacker- "Don't get my goat, little %s!"
- Murderer- "Eep! Don't slaughter me!"
- Reviver- "Thank-you, thank-you, little goat!"
- Ghost- "Don't worry, I'm not hungry."
- Firestarter- "Little goat! You played pranks without me!"
- ↑ Winona announcement tweet Posted on September 6, 2017.
- ↑ Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!. Posted on September 13, 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2019. Posted on January 22, 2019
- ↑ Winona's Character Update is Coming Next Week!. Posted on March 1, 2019.
- ↑ Winona Character Update & Drop System Changes. Posted on March 7, 2019.
- ↑ Willow Refresh Info and Roadmap Schedule Update. Posted on April 25, 2019
- ↑ Willow Character Update and More!. Posted on May 7, 2019
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Upcoming Content Beta and Roadmap Update Posted on May 16, 2019.
- ↑ Warly Refresh date change announcement
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Warly is Now Available in DST! Posted on July 25, 2019
- ↑ Woodie Character Update Next Week + News!. Posted on September 6, 2019
- ↑ Woodie Character Update Now Available + RoT:Salty Dog Beta. Posted on September 11, 2019.
- ↑ Wortox Arrives March 28th!. Posted on March 22, 2019.
- ↑ Wortox Has Arrived!. Posted on March 28, 2019.
- ↑ Wormwood Arrives June 6th!. Posted on May 31, 2019.
- ↑ Wormwood is Now Live!. Posted on June 6, 2019.
- ↑ Hallowed Nights and Wurt available October 24th! (And more!) Posted on October 18, 2019.
- ↑ Wortox quotes
- ↑ Don't Starve: Hamlet Roadmap. Posted on February 14, 2019.
|Don't Starve||Wilson (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Willow (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wolfgang (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wendy (quotes ⋅ clothes) • WX-78 (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wickerbottom (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodie (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wes (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Maxwell (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wagstaff (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Reign of Giants||Wigfrid (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Webber (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Shipwrecked||Walani (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Warly (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wilbur (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Woodlegs (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Hamlet||Wilba (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wormwood (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wheeler (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Don't Starve Together||Winona (quotes ⋅ clothes) • Wortox (quotes ⋅ clothes) Wurt (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Removed||Warbucks (quotes ⋅ clothes)|
|Unimplemented||Wilton • Winnie • Wallace • Waverly • Pyro • Watricia|