Butter is a rare Dairy Food item dropped by Butterflies (2% chance). It is an ingredient in the Crock Pot Recipes for foods that restore high Health and/or Sanity. It has an exceptionally long perish time, allowing the player enough time to gather the other necessary ingredients for these recipes.
- WX-78's quote about butter is a reference to how unlikely it is for butter to drop when killing a butterfly.
- Like Maxwell said, butter could be a nod on the joke of a butterfly.
- This is supported by the quote for Butterfly Wings - "Without these, it's just a butter."
- Butter's striped appearance, and the fact that it comes from Butterflies is most likely a reference to the browser-based MMO Glitch, that ran from 2009 to 2012.
- Waffles are one of the best healing foods in the game. They are in fact the only renewable food item that heals as much and does not drain sanity (except for some new foods in the Shipwrecked DLC).
- Butter gave 80 research points when used on a Science Machine in the early beta of Don't Starve.
- As Butter only comes from Butterflies, it is highly recommended not to pick flowers near ones base, as more flowers equates to more chances for Butter.