Bottlenose Ballphins are Mobs found in the Shipwrecked DLC. They only spawn in the Ocean, and can usually be found swimming next to their Ballphin Palace. When killed, a Ballphin drops two Fish Morsels, a Dorsal Fin, and has a 50% chance to drop an additional Empty Bottle.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Bottlenose Ballphins generally stay in a single area near a Ballphin Palace during the Day. However, if a Player character ventures near, they will follow them for a relatively short distance, and perform back-flips.
At Dusk, Bottlenose Ballphins will return to a nearby Ballphin Palace. If there aren't any Palaces available, they will continue to wander around as they do during the Day, albeit with a shorter range. At Night, any Bottlenose Ballphins that are not inside a Ballphin Palace will go to sleep.
Bottlenose Ballphins will attack as a herd when angered, similar to Pengulls. Additionally, they will attack any hostile creatures or monsters, such as Stink Rays, Crocodogs and Sea Hounds. Therefore, as Webber is considered a Monster, Bottlenose Ballphins will attack him on sight.
Bottlenose Ballphins will eat any Food item floating on the Ocean, except Vegetables. Bottlenose Ballphins can also be befriended with Fish, except Jellyfish-related Food items, to follow and work for the Player.
Friendly Bottlenose Ballphins will help the player mine coral during the Day. Friendly Ballphins can also be directed to attack anything the Player targets, including other Bottlenose Ballphins. Like Pigs, befriended Bottlenose Ballphins will increase the Player's Sanity by 25 per minute while in range.
While Pigs are afraid of the darkness, Bottlenose Ballphins are instead afraid of Lightning. Any Lightning strike will send every nearby Ballphin into a panic for a short time, either swimming back and forth while screaming, or crowding the nearest source of light if there are any available. This can make it challenging for the Player to keep hired Ballphins pacified during the heavy lightning storms of Hurricane Season.
Similar to a Life Jacket, befriended Bottlenose Ballphins have an 80% chance of saving the player from drowning, resurrecting them to the nearest island with ingredients to make a Log Raft. There is also a very small chance that a Bottlenose Ballphin will spawn to assist the Player whenever a Crocodog wave hits.
Ballphin Names[edit | edit source]
Possible Ballphin names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
When finding food
Around light at night
In complete darkness
Day ending, going home
Helping mine Coral
Fighting Strategy[edit | edit source]
Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Bottlenose Ballphin when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.
|1 - 2|
|2 - 4|
|3 (2 )|
|6, 5 or 4|
|4 - 7|
|4 - 8 -|
|5 (3 )|
|6 (2 )|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If the player knows the locations of Ballphins and hears an impending Crocodog attack, it is prudent to sail towards them for protection.
- Abigail can easily kill an entire pod of Ballphins.
- Unlike Pigs and Wildbores, allied Ballphins will not move away if approached. This makes them quite useful for sanity restoration, especially if the player has befriended multiple Ballphins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The player's ability to befriend Ballphins as well as their names, quotes, and the Ballphin Palace were added to the Shipwrecked DLC more than a year after its official completion in the Home Sea Home update, after being tested in a beta branch for several months.
- Before the Home Sea Home update, Ballphins had less Health (100) and Damage (10).
- The Bottlenose Ballphin's ability to drop Empty Bottles is a pun on its name.
- The name Bottlenose Ballphin is a reference to the real world animal, the Bottlenose Dolphin.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- It is possible for the Bottlenose Ballphins to spawn on land. In this case they won't be able to get to the Ocean, and they will be stuck on land.
- It is also possible to push a Bottlenose Ballphin onto land by colliding one's boat into it while it is directly next to the shore.