Birds of the World
Birds of the World calls 20 to 30 Birds. It does not work during Hurricane Season in the Shipwrecked DLC. The type of spawned Birds depends on the season, biome, and position the player is at. If used at night, all the summoned birds will instantly fly away after landing on the ground.
Applied Horticulture grows crops and plants instantly, while trees accelerate one stage every use. It does not work on unfertilized or withered crops or plants. It has 5 uses and 30 range. It will not cause plants to grow in most time of Winter.
It causes animals and other players to sleep. It has 5 uses and 30 range (range is twice as large as that of the Pan Flute).
The On Tentacles creates 3 Tentacles and has 5 uses and 3 to 8 range as long as there aren't any obstacles in the way.
The End is Nigh!
The The End is Nigh! generates 16 consecutive Lightning strikes. It has 5 uses and 3 to 15 range.
Fallen Dragoon Eggs sometimes create Lava Pools on the ground. When Lava pools burn out they leave behind Rocks , Ash and Charcoal. Lava Pools can be extinguished directly with Ice, which leaves behind a single Obsidian instead. This allows Wickerbottom to easily farm Rocks, Charcoal and Obsidian.
The Horticulture, Abridged replaces a part of Applied Horticulture in Don't Starve Together. It grows up to 10 plants with edible harvest like Farm Plant, Berry Bush and Stone Fruit Bush. Area of effect is within 7.5 tiles radius around the reader. Farm Plant grown this way will never be oversized.
The Applied Silviculture replaces a part of Applied Horticulture in Don't Starve Together. It advances Trees by one stage, and grows Grass Tufts, Saplings and Reeds. Area of effect is within 7.5 tiles radius around the reader.
- Even though reading books lowers the player's sanity, one can keep reading the books even at 0 sanity with no restriction on the book's use and effects. It is therefore recommended to grow self-harvesting farms (with Lureplants) or build Tentacle death pits in a single session, reading as many books as possible, and only restoring sanity (with Jerky, Cooked Green Cap, or Cooked Cactus Flesh) afterwards.
- Tentacles from On Tentacles generally produces more Tentacle Spots than it consumes. They are also a source of Tentacle Spikes, a great melee weapon. The book can be used to build defenses or traps, as the Tentacles are hostile to most Mobs in the game.
- In Reign of Giants (RoG) and Shipwrecked (SW) DLCs, the lightning from The End is Nigh! can strike Wickerbottom when used. It is recommended to use clothing that blocks lightning damage, such as the Eyebrella (RoG), Snakeskin Jacket/Hat (SW), or the Dumbrella (SW).
- In Don't Starve Together, Maxwell can use Wickerbottom's books if obtained, in the same way that he can use the Codex Umbra.
- In Don't Starve Together, Wurt can read Wickerbottom's books. Although she is unable to utilize them, she reads them for enjoyment and this will either increase or decrease her sanity depending on the book.
- The text "Ia! Ia!" in the description for The End is Nigh! refers to the phrase "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!", a chant from the Cthulhu Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft.
- The sanity reduction from reading possibly could suggest that these books contain knowledge which humans were never meant to know, similar to the Necronomicon and Pnakotic Manuscripts from the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. Although Wurt can gain sanity by reading some of the books, this is likely because she reads them for personal enjoyment rather than to utilize possibly forbidden magic.
- Joy of Volcanology has the same functionality as the Volcano Staff, except it is less precise.
- According to Wilson in Don't Starve Together, Sleepytime Stories is "just 500 pages of telegraph codes". This implies that the book bores those affected to sleep.
- Sleepytime Stories and The End is Nigh! were originally named Bedtime Stories and Conflagration respectively.
- When Wickerbottom inspects Birds of the World, she mentions the Western Screech Owl. This is a reference to the mod the developers made titled The Screecher.
- Several characters introduced with the Hamlet DLC have unimplemented quotes for Wickerbottom's books:
- Wagstaff: Birds of the World ("I cannot access the knowledge within it. How frustrating!"), Applied Horticulture ("Much more than a collection of facts."), Sleepytime Stories ("Is this ink imbued with dark fuel?! Fascinating!"), On Tentacles ("What prevents me from using this?"), The End is Nigh! ("Oh, I do wish I could access its power.").
- Wheeler: Birds of the World ("Will it help me get back in the air?"), Applied Horticulture ("I'm not digging this one."), Sleepytime Stories ("A sleeper hit."), On Tentacles ("I'm guessing it's not a children's book."), The End is Nigh! ("Feel good story of the year.").
- Wormwood and Wilba do not have any quotes for books, therefore they will be unable to say anything should the player allow them to obtain a book somehow.
- Despite not being able to be crafted in Don't Starve Together, Applied Horticulture can still be spawned through the Console.
- (Archive) Character Rebalance Discussion Thread. Posted on June 12, 2013.
|Regular||Tools • Light • Survival • Food • Science • Fight • Structures • Refine • Magic • Dress
(Nautical ) (Treasure Hunting ) (Seafaring )
|Character-Specific||Books • Tinkering
(Green Thumb ) (Balloonomancy • Ectoherbology • Engineering • Seasonings • Stagecraft • Shadow • Slingshot Ammo )
(Volcanic ) (Renovate • City Planning ) (Bottle Exchange • Cartography • Celestial • Critters • Fishing • Landscaping • Sculpt )