Books are items craftable by Wickerbottom. They can be used several times at the cost of sanity to trigger several type of events in radius around the reader. Only Wickerbottom and Maxwell can use the books.
Birds of the World
Birds of the World calls 20 to 30 Birds. It does not work during Hurricane Season in the Shipwrecked DLC. The type of spawned Birds depends on the season, biome, and position the player is at. If used at night, all the summoned birds will instantly fly away after landing on the ground. If used right before night and coupled with Sleepytime Stories or Pan Flute the summoned birds will remain asleep until dawn.
Applied Horticulture grows crops and plants instantly, while trees accelerate one stage every use. It does not work on unfertilized or withered crops or plants. It has 5 uses and 30 range. It will not cause plants to grow in most time of Winter, however it will still accelerate the growth of trees.
Sleepytime Stories causes animals and monsters to sleep. It has 5 uses and 30 range (range is twice as large as that of the Pan Flute). The duration of sleep depends on the target and the effect is broken when it is attacked
On Tentacles creates up to 3 Tentacles and has 5 uses and 3 to 8 range as long as there aren't any obstacles in the way.
The End is Nigh!
The End is Nigh! generates 16 consecutive Lightning strikes. It has 5 uses and 3 to 15 range.
Fallen Dragoon Eggs sometimes create Lava Pools on the ground. When Lava pools burn out they leave behind Rocks , Ash and Charcoal. Lava Pools can be extinguished directly with Ice, which leaves behind a single Obsidian instead. This allows Wickerbottom to easily farm Rocks, Charcoal and Obsidian.
Horticulture, Abridged replaces a part of Applied Horticulture in Don't Starve Together. It grows up to 10 plants with edible harvest like Farm Plant, Berry Bush and Stone Fruit Bush. Area of effect is within 7.5 tiles radius around the reader. Farm Plant grown this way will never be oversized.
Applied Silviculture replaces a part of Applied Horticulture in Don't Starve Together. It advances Trees by one stage, and grows Grass Tufts, Saplings and Reeds. Area of effect is within 7.5 tiles radius around the reader.
- One can keep reading the books even at 0 sanity with no restriction on the book's use and effects.
- It is therefore recommended to grow self-harvesting farms (with Lureplants) or build Tentacle death pits in a single session, reading as many books as possible, and only restoring sanity (with Jerky, Cooked Green Cap, or Cooked Cactus Flesh) afterwards.
- Wearing Bone Helm before and during reading multiple books will render Shadow Creatures inevitably spawning from low sanity harmless, allowing reading unlimited amount of books during any period of time.
- Since the Lunar Island reverses Sanity into Lunacy the books can be read indefinitely without side effects on the island.
- Tentacles from On Tentacles generally produces more Tentacle Spots than it consumes. They are also a source of Tentacle Spikes, a great melee weapon. The book can be used to build defenses or traps, as the Tentacles are hostile to most Mobs in the game. It is worth pointing that book will not spawn all 3 tentacles if there is an obstacle on the way of the tentacle, such as burnt structure, stump of a wall, tree or a boulder or another tentacle.
- Sleepytime Stories has the exact effect of Pan Flute which allows the player to gain several advantages of the Flute, such as shaving Beefalos during the day and mating season, calming Dragonfly, stopping Bee Queen's attacks and beetles, stopping Depths Worm and Hound attacks, slowing down or completely stopping most boss and giants attacks, stealing guarded items from set pieces. It is the only book that has any practical use during combat and is therefore an excellent addition to cautious player's inventory during any longer time away from base.
- Birds of the World has limited use and usually needs to be coupled with Sleepytime Stories (Ideally right before the night so the birds remain asleep for the duration of the night and not just duration of the book) or other ways of farming such as Winona's catapults or hostile Mobs if the player wants to collect Feathers. Otherwise the birds will fly away soon after using the book or when the day ends.
- The End is Nigh! has little practical uses as the Lightnings deal abysmal damage and are redirected by Lightning Rods, posing fire hazard otherwise. The only practical use is charging up allied WX-78 in Don't Starve Together.
- In Reign of Giants (RoG) and Shipwrecked (SW) DLCs, the lightning from The End is Nigh! can strike Wickerbottom when used. It is recommended to use clothing that blocks lightning damage, such as the Eyebrella (RoG), Snakeskin Jacket/Hat (SW), or the Dumbrella (SW).
- In Don't Starve Together, Maxwell and Wurt can read Wickerbottom's books. However, only Maxwell's reading will produce the effects, and Wurt will either lose or gain Sanity, depending on the book.
- The text "Ia! Ia!" in the description for The End is Nigh! refers to the phrase "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!", a chant from the Cthulhu Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft.
- The sanity reduction from reading possibly could suggest that these books contain knowledge which humans were never meant to know, similar to the Necronomicon and Pnakotic Manuscripts from the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. Although Wurt can gain sanity by reading some of the books, this is likely because she reads them for personal enjoyment rather than to utilize possibly forbidden magic.
- Joy of Volcanology has the same functionality as the Volcano Staff, except it is less precise.
- According to Wilson in Don't Starve Together, Sleepytime Stories is "just 500 pages of telegraph codes". This implies that the book bores those affected to sleep.
- Sleepytime Stories and The End is Nigh! were originally named Bedtime Stories and Conflagration respectively.
- When Wickerbottom inspects Birds of the World, she mentions the Western Screech Owl. This is a reference to the mod the developers made titled The Screecher.
- Several characters introduced with the Hamlet DLC have unimplemented quotes for Wickerbottom's books:
- Wagstaff: Birds of the World ("I cannot access the knowledge within it. How frustrating!"), Applied Horticulture ("Much more than a collection of facts."), Sleepytime Stories ("Is this ink imbued with dark fuel?! Fascinating!"), On Tentacles ("What prevents me from using this?"), The End is Nigh! ("Oh, I do wish I could access its power.").
- Wheeler: Birds of the World ("Will it help me get back in the air?"), Applied Horticulture ("I'm not digging this one."), Sleepytime Stories ("A sleeper hit."), On Tentacles ("I'm guessing it's not a children's book."), The End is Nigh! ("Feel good story of the year.").
- Wormwood and Wilba however do not have any quotes for books.
- Despite not being able to be crafted in Don't Starve Together, Applied Horticulture can still be spawned through the Console.
- (Archive) Character Rebalance Discussion Thread. Posted on June 12, 2013.
|Don't Starve Game Tabs|
|Regular||Tools • Light • Survival • Food • Science • Fight • Structures • Refine • Magic • Dress
(Nautical ) (Treasure Hunting )
|Character-Specific||Books • Tinkering
(Green Thumb )
(Volcanic ) (Renovate • City Planning )