A Blue Whale is a neutral Ocean animal that spawns after the player has tracked it down by examining Suspicious Bubbles. Blue Whales can't swim into the Shallow Ocean and will turn away from its borders if approaching it. They are considered innocent creatures, and killing one adds 7 points to the player's naughtiness level, which can cause Krampus to appear. Blue Whales cannot be set on fire.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
When approached, the Blue Whale will swim away from the player, although it is slow and the player can easily catch up. When the player gets close enough to the Blue Whale it will stop and poke its head out of the water. The Blue Whale creates two large waves when it attacks, though the player can be safe at attacking distance given the spread.
After it has been angered, the Blue Whale will attempt to close the distance between it and the attacker. A player can safely kite one with an attack pattern of 5-6 swings, depending on movement speed. However, if there is more than one Blue Whale on-screen then all of them will become aggressive towards the attacker until they are killed or outrun.
Hunting[edit | edit source]
By investigating Suspicious Bubbles, one can find a Blue Whale. These can be found randomly in the deep ocean biome. Functioning identically to the Koalefant's Suspicious Dirt Pile, these bubbles will change locations if ignored for a period of time. Once investigating Suspicious Bubbles three will pop in the same direction, if followed it will lead to another Suspicious Bubbles or the Blue Whale approximately two screens away. Upon uncovering the final bubble (there can be between 6 and 12 per hunt), the character will alert the player that the creature is close and a Blue Whale will be spawned rather than another bubble. Note that there is a chance of up to 33% that a White Whale will spawn instead, based on the number of days survived.
Slain Blue Whales don't immediately drop items, instead becoming a carcass when killed. The carcass will go through 3 stages: Bloated stage 1 (recently killed, withered, and rotting), bloated stage 2 (larger, emits more smell), and bloating stage 3 (severely deformed, shaking softly). During stages 2 and 3, the Blue Whale Carcass will create a squeaking sound that can be heard from about 8 boat lengths away. The Blue Whale Carcass will take 3-5 days to fully bloat (only if it has been loaded once during that play session). When bloated, it can be popped with a Machete and it will explode, dropping 4 Raw Fish, 4 Blubber, and 9 other random items.
Possible Random Items[edit | edit source]
High quality items (rolls 2 items):
Medium quality items (rolls 3 items):
Low quality items (rolls 4 items):
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Being unable to enter shallow water, this allows the player to kill Blue Whales without being attacked back by simply staying on the edge of the Shallow Ocean.
- Eating a Purple Grouper or a Tropical Bouillabaisse will prevent a player's boat from being damaged by waves, which is helpful in minimizing damage taken from hunting whales.
- The Whales' meat drops may cause many Sea Hounds to spawn at the same time when the carcass explodes. This happens because meats dropped in the ocean have a chance to spawn them. Players should be very careful when opening the bloated Whale since they can quickly be overwhelmed by a huge amount of these mobs.
- In the Dry Season, decomposition of the carcass can be instantly speed up by one level if it gets hit by a falling Dragoon Egg from the Volcano.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The "Blue" Whales are a pun on "feeling blue" which is feeling unhappy.
- Blue Whales bloating is based on beached whale carcasses decomposing and becoming bloated with gases, even to the point that they can burst open.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The Blue Whale will not attack the player back after reaching the Shallow Ocean even if the player enters deeper levels.