The Birdcage is a craftable Structure that allows the imprisonment of flying Birds (Redbirds, Crows, and Snowbirds). It requires 6 Gold Nuggets, 2 Papyrus, and 2 Seeds along with an Alchemy Engine to build. Birds can be captured live using the Bird Trap.
Feeding a Bird in a Birdcage a raw Vegetable (except Berries and Mandrakes) will make it drop 1–2 Crop Seeds of the same type, as well as having a 50% chance to drop an additional regular Seeds. These specialized seeds can be planted on a Farm plot, enabling selective crops. The player can also feed the bird regular Seeds to get fresh Seeds in return.
If fed any kind of Meats (excluding uncooked Monster Meat) or meat-based foods in any state of spoilage the bird will produce a fresh Egg. Eggs can be eaten cooked or raw, as well as used in Crock Pot recipes such as Bacon and Eggs and Pierogi. Eggs can also be offered to the Pig King in exchange for Gold Nuggets.
- Spoiling Meats and especially meat-based foods can be saved from turning into Rot or Rotten Eggs by converting them into fresh Eggs.
- The bird can be used to convert meats that are not accepted by the Pig King into Eggs, which are accepted in exchange for Gold Nuggets.
- Birdcage is good for winter, when food resources are limited, as the player can feed the bird an easy to acquire Cooked Monster Meat or Monster Jerky to get fresh Eggs in return, which can further be used in Crock Pot recipes.
- Spoiling eggs can be cooked and given to the bird in return for fresh eggs. This can be used to keep eggs always fresh.
- It doesn't matter what kind of bird is in the cage, they all act identically and none of them have any pros over others.
- A Birdcage can only hold one bird, however it can be easily swapped with another at anytime. As of yet there is no functional difference between the three types of birds, other than the aesthetic appeal.
- Although the option to "Give" other than accepted Food appears when the player mouse-overs the Birdcage, the bird won't eat it.
- In the Research Period of Don't Starve, the birdcage cost 100 Research Points.
- When Maxwell examines an empty birdcage, he says, " You'll never get me behind bars again", likely referring to his imprisonment at the hands of the mysterious captors.
- Birds will now fall asleep at night since the Caves update until morning hits or you feed them.