Bernie is a Survival item/mob in Don't Starve Together, which can only be crafted by Willow. Bernie can be equipped to the hand slot to exclusively provide Willow warmth and sanity. When Willow is insane, a Bernie left on the ground will become BERNIE!, a large mob that taunts and fights most other Mobs. He cannot taunt Bosses, however. He has 2,000 Health and is capable of dealing 50 damage per hit. Only one BERNIE! will become active for each insane Willow player in the game. BERNIE! cannot be placed in the player's inventory. Shadow Creatures killed by BERNIE! will only drop one Nightmare Fuel each.
If a character (not just Willow) is insane and there is already a BERNIE! accounted for each Willow, a Bernie on the ground will become active but not grow in size. This smaller form can walk around and "taunt" nearby Shadow Creatures, causing them to target him. This Bernie has 1,000 Health and will lose 1 durability for each 10 damage dealt to him. When Bernie's durability drops to 0%, he will stop attracting Shadow Creatures. His appearance and icon change to reflect that he is "dead", and examining him will provide a different quote. BERNIE! will also become this form when he loses all Health. Using a Sewing Kit on Bernie will restore him to 100% durability.
The Forge Edit
–Wilson, in their unimplemented quote for Bernie in The Forge.
–Willow, in their unimplemented quote for Bernie in The Forge.
–Wickerbottom, in their unimplemented quote for Bernie in The Forge.
–Maxwell, in their unimplemented quote for Bernie in The Forge.
–Wigfrid, in their unimplemented quote for Bernie in The Forge.
In The Forge event, Bernie plays the same role as he does in the main game, drawing aggro from mobs while not returning fire. When Bernie loses all his health, all monsters will stop attacking and wander to the nearest player. Willow is able to revive Bernie in three seconds for him to start drawing aggro again.
In the second season of The Forge, when Willow wore the Whispering Grand Armor, Bernie would grow larger and get increased speed and hp. His revive time was also reduced.
- Bernie first appeared in Willow's Don't Starve character portrait as an unnamed prop. He was officially introduced as an exclusive item for Willow in Don't Starve Together.
- Bernie's name is a pun of the word "burn."
- Bernie's crafting description may be a reference to the song "Mad World" by Tears for Fears, in particular the lyrics "all around me are familiar faces".
- Characters have alternate examination quotes for Bernie in the Forge, but the regular quotes were triggered instead, leaving the Forge quote unimplemented.
- According to developers in Rhymes With Play #228, a scrapped idea for Winona revolved around her providing upgrades to the other survivors. One concept of this idea presented in the stream was a mechanized Bernie with defensive capabilities.
- Bernie was updated alongside Willow on May 7th, 2019 in Willow's character refresh. Before this update, he did not have a BERNIE! form.
- BERNIE!'s voice is that of a person giggling along with the sound of an animal growling.
- If Bernie is dropped in the water, he sinks.
|BERNIE! attacking continued.|
|BERNIE! dying continued.|