To lay a Bee Mine, it must be placed on the ground with the right mouse button (the left mouse button will simply drop the mine). Placed mines will become armed a second after being placed. If a player has mines in the Caves and dies, the mines will disarm themselves and must be set again.
When a creature comes near enough to the Bee Mine, it explodes, spawning four regular Bees who are aggressive to whatever triggered the mine. Afterwards, the Bees behave identically to other hiveless Bees. If the Bees from the Mine are attacked by their target, other Bees from either Bee Boxes or Bee Hives will come to help. Surviving Bees will remain and can be caught with a Bug Net to make another mine. Catching them counts as aggression, and if there were others nearby assisting against the bomb target, those will attack the player, too.
- The Bee Mine was added in the The Birds and the Bees & Dogs That Want to Kill You update.
- In the old research system, its research cost was 100.
- Sometimes two Bee Mines will spawn next to a Skeleton as a Set Piece. These can be safely picked up.
- Placed Bee Mines have the option to be smashed with Hammer, with predictable results.
- Multiple Bee Mines can cause render lag as they are constantly pulsating.
- Sometimes, the mine can trigger while in a Chest, a Backpack, or even the inventory without being placed.