The Ancient Guardian has 2500 Health and deals 100 damage per hit. It charges at its target similarly to a Clockwork Rook, but it has an additional attack when in melee range; it will use a close-range uppercut with a very short attack delay.
|No. of hits for
||589||184||148||92||82||74||60||43-85||35 or 58||50||49||48||43||42||37||25||13||3|
Ancient Guardian's fight functions differently from the base game. It will charge towards the player but will be stunned for 1.5-6 seconds if it hits one of the pillars, allowing the player to attack; the longer time that Ancient Guardian charged, the longer the Ancient Guardian will be stunned when it hit an obstacle. When the Ancient Guardian charges into a pillar, it will cause a mini earthquake. The earthquake drop 20 minerals like Flint, Rocks and Nitre over 2.5 seconds within 20 metres of the Ancient Guardian, as well as dropping up to 4 Pillar Fragments, within 25 metres; the Pillar Fragments can stun the Ancient Guardian if it charges into them.
Once it's health goes below 6,000, it will enter it's second phase where it gains a new attack where it jumps and slams the ground into the player's position, similar to the Hippopotamoose from the Hamlet DLC. If the player manages to dodge the slam, the Ancient Guardian will be stunned for 3.6 seconds, but if the player fails the dodge, it will continue to attack as normal. During this phase, it has 1-5% of bleeding when attacked, which then spawn up to 5 Shadow Tentacles within 4 metres. The Ancient Guardian has higher chance of bleeding shadow tentacle when it has lower health. The shadow tentacles deal 60 damage per hit, and they despawn after 30 seconds. The shadow tentacles are invulnerable.
Ancient Guardian has an aggro range of 25 metres.
- Rock Lobsters can be utilized against the Ancient Guardian, and are very effective due to their damage reduction. 5 large Rock Lobsters will be able to deal with the Ancient Guardian, taking turns tanking damage and dealing damage.
- Using 12 Gunpowder, 1 Blow Dart and 1 Ice Staff is another strategy to defeat the Guardian. Freezing the Guardian gives the player time to place the Gunpowder nearby. After the Gunpowder is ignited and explodes, the Guardian will be on Fire. When the fire goes out, a Blow Dart can be used to finish it off. If the Guardian is killed while still on fire, its loot will become Ashes and Cooked Meat.
- It is possible to Trap the Guardian between two Campfires and attack with impunity (this won't work in DST as the Guardian will destroy Campfires). The same effect can be achieved by hiding behind a pillar close to the edge of the map. It is also possible to trap the Ancient Guardian using Graves but that will depend on world generation.
- 5 Log Suits, 3 Football Helmets, and a Ham Bat can be utilized to attack the Guardian head on. To save inventory space, the armor can be crafted right before the fight, allowing the player to only carry 4 stacks of materials instead of 8 pieces of armor.
- The Ancient Guardian was released in The Stuff of Nightmares update.
- The Six Feet Under update added its ability to do a close-range attack
- The fact that the Ancient Guardian spawns in a labyrinth, and is named "Minotaur" in the game files, is likely a reference to the story of Theseus and the Minotaur from Greek mythology.
- The Ancient Guardian is a product of prolonged exposure to Nightmare Fuel, as referenced by Maxwell in his examination quote: "My my, the fuel has changed you."
- This also indicates Maxwell knew the Ancient Guardian from before its transformation. While examining the Guardian's Horn, he mourns his death and calls him a friend.
- The Ancient Guardian does the second highest damage per hit, and has the fastest running speed of any mob in the game. The highest amount of damage is done by Biiigfoot.
- An Ice Staff will freeze the Ancient Guardian after only two hits. No other boss can be frozen so quickly; by comparison, the Rook takes the same amount of hits to be frozen.
- The Ancient Guardian is one of the only bosses that doesn't have an insanity aura (others include the Moose/Goose, Toadstool, Bee Queen, Klaus, Tiger Shark, and the Quacken).
- The DST version of the Ancient Guardian received its fight overhaul and second phase in the March 2022 QoL update.
- It is unlikely, but possible, that when the Guardian is trapped between the Abyss and a non-destructible obstacle (Campfires, Pillars, etc.), it may end up walking onto the Abyss, making it impossible to retrieve its loot without using the console. If killed while at the extreme boundary of the Abyss, there is a small chance for the loot to drop in an unreachable position.